· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Ray2-Aq...ex+fugeray2+48

looks like (using variuos charts) this finex should give you a solid medium light. but you might need 2 because your tanks width is 18"...

if you are interested hoppy does a GREAT write up on here:
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368

lots of jargon and can be confusing lol...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my tank is 18 wide for the 40b and the fugeray provides great spread. (way more than I thought)

the optical angles on these are set at 120deg to help with that and by those par graphs, you can see the #'s 9inch out of center, so you'll be able to know what you can grow where based on that.

that is a great write up by hoppy!
    if you'd like to see the spread on my tank, lemme know and i'll load a pic.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    i didnt see that was with a 9" off center... interesting XD.
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    Oh dear. Definitely a lot of information to take in. So according to that write up. The Fugeray would put me at about 22 PAR with 3 inches of substrate which is pretty low light and the Finnex 2 would put me at about 62 PAR which would be well into the high light and CO2 spectrum. Am I understanding that correctly?

That is a great write up! The choices are overwhelming!
    Guess I'll be spending a good couple hours researching tonight. Looks like LED will be the way to go though because they seem to be slimmer and cooler running than any of the T5s.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Mizz I would love to see some pictures of your tank that has the Fugeray.
    Is it heavily planted?
    ~Manna

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    no the finnex rayII DX will give you the about 52 par units.... which is border line high lighting. but the finnex rayII would give you a solid 40 par units, that would give you middle of the road medium light. i used the 25" line and that is a good point for a 90g tank. i would go with the finnex rayII because that would be a good place to start for a begginer. you would be surprised the plants you can keep with medium light, lower co2 and some ferts. its the perfect set up IMO to get your feet wet with plants and lighting. then later if you want more light you can either double up the units, or add a finnex ray I to give a little more lighting. that would bump you into the realm of high lighting easly.
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    Okay I was thinking you should figure it from the substrate rather than the base of the tank. So that sounds like it would be a great light for my needs.

Do you think I would have to start out with CO2 right off the bat? Or could I do without it for a while? Would I just be battling algea all the time?

I guess I could incorporate floating plants too, would that help lower the intensity if the light and reduce algea problems?
    ~Manna

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    im debating over that topic with my tanks now. my 55g needs it but my 10g im not sure. medium light tanks normaly dont need the same amount of co2 as higher light tanks. the one thing is tho with a big tank (bigger than 29g in most cases) diy is out of the question and BP co2 would be too much of a hastle. i figured out in my 55g id need to refill a 20oz co2 ever other week... after that its the 5, 10, and 20 pound co2 canister (can get quite expensive, as im learning lol). you could always try the tank without co2, and monitor everything. then just be ready for the need for co2. you can buy some liquid co2 booster and keep it handy untill you get the tank set up for the co2. ive been looking and (depending how much a tank can cost you) im seeing about 200$ for everything (co2 canister 10 pounds, diffuser, regulator, and indicator fluid (im making my own). but im not saying you will need the co2... lower medium id say you wouldnt, higer medium id say you would. but you are right in the middle lol.

BTW yes measuring it from the substrate to the light is the best way to measure the light. the problem i have with all of hoppys graphs on that link is he didnt measure anything with water in between so id say take the tanks high and add the leg high (nearly 0 since iu are using leds) and that should offset any erros by too much
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    I also have 5 inches to work with above the tank. I guess I could devise a way to lift the light three inches off the tank and it would still fit in under the hood.

As far as liquid CO2 booster is that like seachem excel?
    ~Manna

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tank was decently planted-I would say low-medium...i guess it is relative to what you think is heavy. lol

here are some pictures.
    2013-02-07_19-47-22_313.jpg2013-02-07_19-44-31_395.jpg2013-02-07_19-44-44_950.jpg

Heads up on LED's.
    to Human eyes-they look dimmer than bulbs (like it was very very dissapointing when I first put this fixture on there) but after "forgetting" what the t5ho's looked like-this fixture is bright and awesome!
    that is because the light is more focused and does not spread as much. but they provide the same amount if not better light because of that (not going into a debate on that.lol)

but i'll agree with the statements of the fugeray will put you at low light-i bought them for that reason.
    I actually tore down the tank you see above and will plant with vals/anubias. I got tired of dosing and playing with stuff to combat the algae from my quad t5ho fixture. lol
    so i'm doing low tech in the near future.

but in that set up-
    I had the fixture on there for about a month and after the first 7-10ish days-i had growth in my wisteria, anubias, swords (at edge of tank too!) and the ozelot right underneath the fixture....and they continued to produce new bright green leaves. I didn't add excel or liquid ferts during that time either.
    so that's why im a big fan of my led's :)