· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Top Water Care Products

0 Not allowed!
    After a bit of research, I've compiled a list of aquarium water care products.

Seachem Prime: The best water care in my opinion. As long as you follow the measurement guides, it will remove all ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, as well as remove chlorine and chloramines. Prime also supposedly "promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat", however I have not experimented with that yet. I recommend this.

API Stress Coat: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes some very good products, and I believe this is one. This product removes chlorine and chloramines, as well as detoxifies heavy metals. Aloe vera extract helps replace fish slime coats and reduce stress. I recommend this.

API Stress Zyme: Another API product that amazes me. Live bacteria help keep biological activity inside your filter, and this also helps clean water. I've noticed that it does somewhat help clean the water, but I'm not entirely sure that aspect is true yet. I'd recommend this to a friend.

Top Fin Bacteria Supplement: I don't recommend a few Top Fin products, but this one I do. It helped me (at least) cycle my tank fairly quickly, and is averagely priced. I'd recommend this to a friend.

Kordon Rid-Ich Plus: I haven't tested this product, but my cousin has. I've studied her tank before and after she used the Rid-Ich, and the fish's health did improve. I'd recommend this product.

Thanks for reading. I'll update tomorrow as it's pretty late...
    10 Gallon: 5 Peppered Corys | Pool Filter Sand | x2 AquaTech 5-15 Power Filter | 2 plastic plants

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquahead1 View Post
    After a bit of research, I've compiled a list of aquarium water care products.

Seachem Prime: The best water care in my opinion. As long as you follow the measurement guides, it will remove all ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, as well as remove chlorine and chloramines. Prime also supposedly "promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat", however I have not experimented with that yet. I recommend this.
    Absolutely agreed. Best dechlorinator on the planet, and one of the only tools a hobbyist should have under the tank in the cabinet. I also like their Purigen and Stability...

API Stress Coat: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes some very good products, and I believe this is one. This product removes chlorine and chloramines, as well as detoxifies heavy metals. Aloe vera extract helps replace fish slime coats and reduce stress. I recommend this.
    Have heard good things about this product, and was thinking of picking it up for when the fish seem a bit "stressed" (which should always be taken care of with water changes, but I'm just saying...) or to promote scale regrowth during injuries, etc.; I have used API's aquarium salt and of course their Master Freshwater test kit...I'll look into the Stress Coat...

API Stress Zyme: Another API product that amazes me. Live bacteria help keep biological activity inside your filter, and this also helps clean water. I've noticed that it does somewhat help clean the water, but I'm not entirely sure that aspect is true yet. I'd recommend this to a friend.
    This sounds somewhat like Seachem's Purigen from what you're describing -- essentially, a "water polisher" that makes the water column appear nearly transparent. I happen to LOVE that look, but trying to scrape up some funds to afford the couple of 100ml pouches I drop in my HOB filters; Purigen is also supposed to remove toxic impurities from the water, acting almost like another form of media...

Top Fin Bacteria Supplement: I don't recommend a few Top Fin products, but this one I do. It helped me (at least) cycle my tank fairly quickly, and is averagely priced. I'd recommend this to a friend.
    Hmmmm....interesting....like you, I normally never recommend nor buy Petsmart's house brand of products (based on past experience with their mostly cheap shiznit) but right now I'm running an AIR-8000 air pump that's been feeding my two bubble bars better than any pump before it (though it is RIDICULOUSLY noisy); from what I understand, this pump is made by another manufacturer and Petsmart rebrands it under "Top Fin"...

At any rate, instead of the product you suggest, I recommend for these duties Seachem's STABILITY -- I have used this product with success in the past, notably this last setup with the brand-new 60 gallon goldfish tank...it's supposed to "kick-start" the cycle process and remove the toxic shock for fish going into a brand-new aquarium, thus eliminating "New Tank Syndrome" and everything associated with it. Though it sounds too good to be true and that Seachem is suggesting this is a "magic liquid," the way in which it works is not how most newbies think -- it doesn't cycle the tank for you, but merely gives the bacteria a "kick in the pants" to start the process...in the meantime, Seachem states openly and boldly on the packaging that ALL marine life of ANY kind can be introduced to the tank at ANY time when using Stability safely...so long as the seven-day treatment is completed. I have YET to lose a fish using this stuff with new tanks, honest; what I normally do is dose the brand-new tank with the stuff and after the second day of treatment, so it had some time to "prepare" the water a bit for the fish, I introduce the life forms to the new water carefully (i.e. container them out -- not net them -- and let them gently swim into the new tank at their own speed/inclination). Doing this has never toxified my fish...

Kordon Rid-Ich Plus: I haven't tested this product, but my cousin has. I've studied her tank before and after she used the Rid-Ich, and the fish's health did improve. I'd recommend this product.
    I gotta be honest...unless it's a case of extreme emergency or a fish is in a life or death situation, I always prefer doing water changes over dumping any kind of medications into a tank...it normally makes things worse, changing the chemistry of the water and throwing everything out of whack...doing frequent, daily if necessary water changes, is a good flushing/cleaning system for sick fish (in most cases)...