· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default UPDATE: Thanks again to the folks here at Aquatic Community!

0 Not allowed!
    Just another thanks to everyone here who helped me out with tips and suggestions. My tank is finally past the test cycle stage (took five+ weeks) and I have live fish doing quite well in their new home. Would never have gotten there without this site! This whole experience has sparked a keen interest in fish for me in that I plan to add a second tank down the road when my budget allows for it.

Thanks again!

P.S. My LFS suggested I add a water motion pump to the side of my tank (55 gal) opposite the Whisper filter. What are your thoughts on this please and do you recommend any particular brand names/types?
    Last edited by Thlorian; 03-29-2013 at 01:32 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thlorian View Post

P.S. My LFS suggested I add a water motion pump to the side of my tank (55 gal) opposite the Whisper filter. What are your thoughts on this please and do you recommend any particular brand names/types?
    You can certainly add a powerhead to one side of the tank. Will help to circulate the water a bit more. Usually they suction to the side of the glass, or have clip onto a hanger that sits over the trim of the tank. Aquaclear powerheads are probably one of the more affordable powerheads. A few of the more pricier powerheads have magnetic mounts a bit better at staying in place than the suction cups.

Another idea is to just get another filter and put it on the other side of the tank. The good thing about having 2 filters is more filtration, more water movement, a backup in case one filter dies. Might even be able to find a filter for the same price range as a powerhead.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with Korith, if you are going to hang something else in the tank, another filter is much more versatile, and achieves the same aim - water movement - with the bonus of having a ready to use filter for qt, new tank or breakdown

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Keith and Dennis

Thanks for the tips. I have a 55 gal tank with a Whisper Dual Power 60 filter. So I would actually be adding a third filter to this tank. Would that work out ok?

0 Not allowed!
    I would add an AquaClear 110. Might as well have something that is filtering rather than something that is just moving water? Your current filter is good for "up to" 60 gallons. In other words, is probably great for one/half the gallons you currently have.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-29-2013 at 02:33 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    I would add an AquaClear 110. Might as well have something that is filtering rather than something that is just moving water? Your current filter is good for "up to" 60 gallons. In other words, is probably great for one/half the gallons you currently have.
    Thanks for the tip - I will check one out at the store . . .

0 Not allowed!
    You may want to check out the online sites. Cheaper as all fish products are.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquari...r-Filters.aspx

Free shipping over $49, too.