· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame View Post
    Regardless of what people think of them, blood parrots are deformed. Any body part that does not function in the manner that it is supposed to, is deformed. People project human attributes onto these fish. Their deformed mouths make them look like they are smiling. They are not. Whether or not its painful for them can be disputed, but not the fact that it is a deformity. I am not casting aspersions on bp owners. It's their choice what fish to keep, but the facts cannot be changed
    True. I think the important thing to clarify is:
    1. Whether or not these fish suffer from their deformities;
    2. How suffering is quantitively measured (this is the hard part).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Looking at Google Images I can't see any BP that can close its mouth.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Looking at Google Images I can't see any BP that can close its mouth.
    I have heard of those that can close their mouths, but that still doesn't change the fact that their body is deformed, including twisted spines and irregular swim bladders. Also, I don't see how anyone can support their breeding just because "some" can close their mouths. I'm sure some tattooed and dyed fish manage to suffer through a long life but that doesn't make it okay.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm just trying to say. That there is a middle ground to be found. That if you're going to buy a BP try and get the healthiest one possible with the least amount of deformities that effect its overall health. If you're going to breed BP's only choose to breed the fish that have overall better lives.

0 Not allowed!
    My BP can close his mouth.

It's fine to discuss a controversial topic. It is not fine to state that anyone who owns blood parrots are either ignorant or uncaring because of their choice. That is not a discussion. That is an attack.
    I don't want to get particularly involved in this debate but I have to agree 100% with this statement.

Everybody is justified to an opinion. Although I own one, I wouldn't call myself a BP fanatic. I am WELL aware that there are many people who are vehemently opposed to the breeding of BPs, and I respect and understand that -- I am also well aware why they feel that way. However, when someone makes the massive call of labeling every BP owner as either ignorant or uncaring, I find that frankly insulting. You have NO right to call that kind of judgement.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carapar56 View Post
    I'm just trying to say. That there is a middle ground to be found. That if you're going to buy a BP try and get the healthiest one possible with the least amount of deformities that effect its overall health. If you're going to breed BP's only choose to breed the fish that have overall better lives.
    But we're not the breeders, we're the customers. And choosing the rare ones with the "least amount of deformities" may benefit you as a fishkeeper, but the problem is that doing so still supports the breeding of them. That's like saying "choose the healthiest looking tattooed fish". There is no such thing as a non-deformed blood parrot, nor can there ever be.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx View Post
    However, when someone makes the massive call of labeling every BP owner as either ignorant or uncaring, I find that frankly insulting. You have NO right to call that kind of judgement.
    Again, why get caught up in the wording? I was certainly ignorant (aka unaware) of the aggression in angelfish when I decided to add several of them to my planted community tank. Had I known they would kill each other and terrorize the other inhabitants, I certainly would not have bothered with them. But if I did know they would kill each other and I still bought them, that would be cruel. It's the same concept, get over yourself.

0 Not allowed!
    I cracked up when I saw that photo of that skull. As if a blood parrot can possibly have a jaw that opens to that width. They can barely fit a pellet into it.

A Blood Parrot is also not a Parrot Cichlid, for the record, altho I know blood parrot is what this is referring to.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    I cracked up when I saw that photo of that skull. As if a blood parrot can possibly have a jaw that opens to that width. They can barely fit a pellet into it.
    First off, the fact that they can barely fit a pellet into their mouth is really saddening and further proves how it's not right to encourage breeding to create these fish. Secondly, the skeleton is nothing to laugh about; the reason why it looks large is because it doesn't have all the flesh blocking the throat passage as seen in this picture:

bloodparrot10.jpg

0 Not allowed!

These are parrot cichlids. Lovely fish. But a jaw that is totally different. I have the feeling the author of that article doesn't know the difference.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast