· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Are we not able to discuss controversial topics like this without someone taking offence? I don't think raising the issue is inappropriate - this is a fish forum. Why can't we discuss things that not everyone agrees on? That's the interesting part!

I've read this article before and I agree there are better fish to buy (and support the breeding of) than BPs.

I've owned one before, when I was a teenager - I bought it because it was so interesting and bizarre-looking, only later finding out that it is a Frankenstein fishy. I can't say I'd ever buy one again knowing how they're bred and how many have mouth problems.

Likewise, in the dog world - I'd also never contribute to the breeding of bulldogs, or german shepherds, or chihuahuas.

In an ideal world we would all breed animals for health and temperament. Sadly, the world isn't like this because people have ulterior motives in breeding (size, colour, weight, shape).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    This is one I really just don't get...I actually find it upsetting to look at.
    250px-Extra_flotation_devices.jpg

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Are we not able to discuss controversial topics like this without someone taking offence? I don't think raising the issue is inappropriate - this is a fish forum. Why can't we discuss things that not everyone agrees on? That's the interesting part!
    I agree. It's fine to discuss a controversial topic. It is not fine to state that anyone who owns blood parrots are either ignorant or uncaring because of their choice. That is not a discussion. That is an attack.
    Not to worry. I'm done. Carry on.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 03-28-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

1 Not allowed!
    True. It needs someone to weigh in with the other side. Where's Lady Hobbs?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I agree. It's fine to discuss a controversial topic. It is not fine to state that anyone who owns blood parrots are ignorant because of their choice. That is not a discussion. That is an attack.
    Honestly, I don't understand why you're getting caught up in my statement. Ignorant simply means to be unaware or lacking knowledge. Either you're ignorant of the deformities in BPs, or you knowingly choose to support a cruel practice. The pick is yours.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    Honestly, I don't understand why you're getting caught up in my statement. Ignorant simply means to be unaware or lacking knowledge. Either you're ignorant of the deformities in BPs, or you knowingly choose to support a cruel practice. The pick is yours.
    Probably because you don't come off well with either option. The facts are not really being discussed here - it's just a confrontation.

[I think this thread will need closing soon]

0 Not allowed!
    Regardless of what people think of them, blood parrots are deformed. Any body part that does not function in the manner that it is supposed to, is deformed. People project human attributes onto these fish. Their deformed mouths make them look like they are smiling. They are not. Whether or not its painful for them can be disputed, but not the fact that it is a deformity. I am not casting aspersions on bp owners. It's their choice what fish to keep, but the facts cannot be changed
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    Yeah. That's it. I'm cruel.
    I apologize if I've upset anyone by taking offense to being told I'm either ignorant or cruel.
    I hold this forum and its members in too high regard to continue to play the semantics game.
    NOW I'm done.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I would like this thread to remain open. I think a healthy debate on what is an important issue regarding fish breeding is a good thing.

For that to happen, lets keep it polite, avoid personal remarks and try not to take anything personally.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    After reading a a lot from both sides, and being the person I am, can't there be a middle ground? I like BP's. A lot actually and I've seen many that aren't over ballooned or compressed, can close their mouths, and can function and live completely normally. Are they still deformed? Yes. But I believe they're still gorgeous, amazing fish to own. At the same time I don't like seeing BP's who are overly ballooned and deformed to the point where their mouths do not close and they have trouble swimming. I believe their should be a middle ground. Breeding BP's for these deformities is not wrong if there is a line. If the fish can still function, close its mouth, and live as any other fish can then I don't see the issue. When the fish's life starts getting cut short because of the deformities then its a problem. But I don't see why you can hate on something completely when there are indeed examples of these fish living normal, healthy lives. I've found this evident at a chinese restaurant my family goes to, called Fortune, the restaurant is amazing and in the lobby it houses a maybe 200 - 300 gallon tank full of BP's. All of them have been there for years, many of them I've watched grow over the years. Many even have been named by the workers. All of them are healthy, active, eat normally, can close their mouths normally, swim normally, aren't over ballooned, and live the lives of normal fish. Just because they are deformed does not mean they are suffering. If its not visible, you cannot argue it without proof. The day someone does a study that confirms that ALL BP's bred for these deformities experience pain and suffering is the day I will stop loving them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast