· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default possible costia or velvet

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there,

my red glass barb was previously living with goldfish in a tank that was way too small. I gave them away to someone with a nice empty 45 gallon with lots of experience. But, while living with them, he obviously got stressed by horrid water conditions. And for a month or so now he has had a big grey patch on his belly. At first I thought maybe it was normal scale loss. But, the past few days he's been acting strange. Sitting lethargic and tilted under a plant leaf and at other times darting frantically for extended periods of time and scratching on the filter.

I recently purchased two small platy, but they are just going to have to try to survive treatment. Did not put any of their water in the tank. The barb only has one eye, couldn't be sold so I took him home. He is not aggressive at all, just likes to swim. I don't think he can see them most of the time and doesn't care about them when he does. Illness isn't even bringing out his aggression. So he can stay as long as he doesn't bug my livebearers.

- using 5 mL rid ich plus by Kordon, had a lot of success when I had to treat Ich after adding the goldfish originally
    - 10 gallon carbon filter removed, left the sponge filter in
    - did a 25% water change before Tx, gonna treat tmw and the next day with 25% water change before each
    - should i do a bigger water change after the symptoms are gone?
    - should i treat until all symptoms disappear? how long is too long?
    - is there anything else I should add during or after Tx?

Thanks in advance

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Two days of medicating... seems to be clearing up a bit already. I tried doing just water changes previous to resorting to medicating, but no luck. I'm gonna treat 2 more days, then give a day break. and give another 2 days I think. The patches on each side are down about 25%. When I used this for ich it only took 2 days. Seems like this protozoa may be a little more hardy

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, after 7 days and 5 doses I left it at that because I didn't feel comfortable continuing to treat. The bottle says to treat 3 days after last signs, but, another few days after I stopped treatment all if not most of the cloudy marks cleared up. I've also been doing 30% WC every 2-3 days. The little platys seemed to have made it through. Now, I have a hospital tank set up for future outbreaks. And I'm never overstocking again... Instead, I just got two more tanks ;) lol, what an addicting hobby.