· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

Default can i use aluminum stock for led heat sink?

0 Not allowed!
    would i be able to use aluminum stock something like this :
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1003375...5#.UVQX-Bxwe84
    for heat sinks with 1w leds? i know the higher the wattage the more they need a better sink, but would this work good for a 1w? (yes the 1Ws have the aluminum star board on and i will be using a conductive adhesive)
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Over on reefcentral I've seen a few led builds that used heatsinks meant for a computer cpu. If you have any old systems around, should be able to get a good heatsink off of the cpu or video card.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    I would think cpu heat sinks would be super over kill for mere 1w leds... If i was building a 10w led set up id use those (yes i have about 7 cpu heat sinks...). Im looking to just have 20 or so 1w leds (half 6500k and half 3500k.). From my research the leds claiming to be 6500k are lacking in the red end of the spectrum but the 3500k are the oposite.... I think that combo will give me a good spectrun for plants, with some lenses to focus them...
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    It would do something but the surface is fairly limited. CPU heatsinks have far better form. I'd advice you to use something to make sure there's a good heat transfer, just like you use arctic silver on a cpu.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Some old motherboards have midsized heatsinks for other chips right on them, e.g a northbridge type heatsink. They are rather thin and smaller than a cpu heatsink. Otherwise, if you are going to use that angle stock it would be a good idea to cut cooling vanes into it with a dremel and cutting wheel. The neat thing about cpu heatsinks is that if you were going to use some higher value LEDs you could always put the 80mm fan on it. Some of them AT motherboards have them smaller heatsinks on them.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    while i test my set up im going to see the heat they produce, seems like the 1w leds have been fine using just a star board heatsink (what they are installed on 90% of the time), but i will just have to adjust from there. i will have access to a ir thermometer. testing this stuff at school is awesome XD, i will also have access to a light spectrometer, and all sorts of expensive equipment.
    gotta love them bunnies!