· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Evolve 4...

1. Default My Evolve 4...

0 Not allowed!
    I found the Evolve 4 at my local Petco for $34.98 and couldn't resist!

I decided to set it up and try my hand at some plants again. I'm thinking of putting a dwarf puffer in here as I've had them before and really enjoy them.

I purchased sand(I've never used sand before, but I Love the look of it) and a piece of driftwood and set it up:

I replaced the filter cartridge with a bag of carbon, a big foam pad and put biomax on the right side where the pump is:

Today I went out and purchased some plants! Purchased an anubias and two java fern. I also started cycling the tank.

The front right corner looks lonely. I'm not completely satisfied with how the tank looks. Thinking of adding moss or something. Any suggestions? I really want to put in some dwarf hairgrass but I don't know how to plant it with the sand?
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How many gallons is a evolve 4? If you covered the remaining sand with hair grass it would look nice and once it grows out a bit would make a very nice looking shrimp tank. As far as planting I think you would just stick it in like with other plant substrates right? Never used sand or dwarf hair grass so that's just a guess.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Might need some root tabs for nutrients in the sand, as sand doesn't have nor hold many nutrients. Tank looks off to a great start! HAirgrass would indeed look nice
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

The Evolve 4 is 4 gallons.

How would I keep the hairgrass from floating up if I put it in the sand? I will get some root tabs :)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No idea haha didn't think of that possibility. Would the sand be enough to hold the grass in place?
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think so. I bought the prepackaged hairgrass from Petsmart and tried it and it wouldn't stay. But it was weird and kinda gross, and definitely a waste of 7 bucks.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would do some searching and see what others have come up with. I know its possible just no sure how.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't keep a puffer in a 4 gallon. That's too small in my opinion.

The only thing that tank is suitable for is shrimp at a push, or snails. It's a great looking tank though.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    I wouldn't keep a puffer in a 4 gallon. That's too small in my opinion.

The only thing that tank is suitable for is shrimp at a push, or snails. It's a great looking tank though.
    I'll have to agree to disagree. I kept my last puffer happily in a 5 gallon which is the recommended tank size for one puffer. As long as you keep up on the water changes and plant it heavily, they seem to do very well. It's only a gallon less and as long as I'm diligent with water changes, I think the puffer will do well.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    It does not hurt to try? As long as a fish can physically survive in an aquarium it doesn't hurt to see if it can be comfortable. If you see lack of activity or the puffer pacing frantically up and down the glass then I'd suggest moving it to a larger tank as from what I can gather those are signs of the fish being stressed from lack of space.