· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Animal Cruelty Rant

0 Not allowed!
    My inlaws showed up for a visit today.

As usual, my mother-in-law felt it necessary to update me on all the animals they had killed since the last time we met. This is a regular thing.... I'm pretty sure she does it because she knows how much it bothers me. Please note that when I say, 'killing' I mean letting them die from neglect, or inproper care.

Anyway, I got to hear the story of the death of two bettas. Not necessarily a story really, just letting me know that she let a 3,6, and 7 year old shake their small containers, not feed them, and not provide heat for them. Her quote was, "I though Sam said they wouldn't die!" .... Sam would be my husband...

Really? I mean really? Just to give you a small taste of why I'm so frustrated -- add this to the following scenarios:

Last week -- dog hit by car, broken leg, refuses to take it to the vet. Felt the need to tell me about it.
    Current -- refuses to feed their other dog regularly out of pure laziness. Takes 50 pound bags of food from me anyway (that I pay for)
    Couple months back -- Bought a baby pot bellied pig for a 2 year old. Let it die of scabies.

(No particular time) Limitless amounts of kittens being eaten by dogs, dropped by the side of the road, and trying to pawn them off on me (some successfully) by telling me what they plan on doing to them.

Every year at easter a new rabbit or two is purchased. I once got a phone call where I could hear a screeching dying rabbit in the background because they had left it on the concrete porch in full sun with no water. I took last year's rabbit.

SOOOOOOOOOO, I just wanted to mention that I am SO sick of these idiots asking me for advice, help, or just plain telling me this crap.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    If I were you, if you know they have animals they are not caring for, anonymously call animal control on them. I would have no hesitation on doing so, and have done so in the past without any remorse.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I hate to say it, but some of your behavior in taking in unwanted animals may be enabling her. I agree with Tiari... a call to the authorities may be in order if you can catch her at the right time - a couple dead bettas won't do it obviously but a mistreated dog or cat should.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Although it seriously does things to my conscience -- I have done my best to stop taking animals from her. I do not think this enables her in any way. According to my husband, they have been this way all his life. He even told me a story of how she made him dig a hole, and shoot a litter of puppies because they annoyed her when he was a young boy, throwing kittens off a bridge into traffic below. Just sick, and ignorant people....

My blood boils just thinking about it. If they push me too far, I'll end up calling on them. Unfortunately -- our humane society consists of one older woman who also happens to be a cop. I happen to be great friends with her, but she doesn't really have too much support. This is one of those small towns where things like that are always looked over, and almost accepted.

I just wonder WHY she feels the need to tell me this stuff. I mean it's usually the first thing out of her mouth. Why??
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Besides being a moron, she is jealous of you. You took her "baby boy" away from her. You should turn her over to the authorities and pray she will get her upcomance and maybe, just maybe, she will learn something.

Hang in there kido, there are still a lot of great people out there.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK View Post
    Although it seriously does things to my conscience -- I have done my best to stop taking animals from her. I do not think this enables her in any way. According to my husband, they have been this way all his life. He even told me a story of how she made him dig a hole, and shoot a litter of puppies because they annoyed her when he was a young boy, throwing kittens off a bridge into traffic below. Just sick, and ignorant people....

My blood boils just thinking about it. If they push me too far, I'll end up calling on them. Unfortunately -- our humane society consists of one older woman who also happens to be a cop. I happen to be great friends with her, but she doesn't really have too much support. This is one of those small towns where things like that are always looked over, and almost accepted.

I just wonder WHY she feels the need to tell me this stuff. I mean it's usually the first thing out of her mouth. Why??
    She sounds like a very narcisistic person who enjoys your reactions.

Does she tell you about it like it's a funny story, or is it more like she's telling you about her day?

Either way that's awful and I'd definitely call animal control.
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

0 Not allowed!
    There's idiots like that anywhere. Call the authorities. Even in a country like yours where hunting is so popular there must be laws against animal neglect.

0 Not allowed!
    That's disgusting. You're lucky your husband didn't grow up to be a barbarian with role models like that.

My father is into hunting, but he would NEVER neglect his animals. His dog is absolutely his best friend.

0 Not allowed!
    Just something else that occurs to me... getting all these animals to neglect. That must cost money? Rub her nose into that?

0 Not allowed!
    Call the authorities. Animal abuse is unacceptable.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff