· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Can you do a test for us? After reading all this I'd like to see as to what your levels are and if you're actually cycled or not, I'm really curious.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming View Post
    It really sounds like your worrying about nothing, it never hurts to test but from the sounds of it the tank is fine
    I just don't want to lose any fish, as it was daunting and heartbreaking in the past -- regardless, here is what the battery of API tests I just ran came back as:

Ammonia: Perhaps 0.25? It's a bit darker than the bright "yellow" of the "0ppm" reading...

NitrIte: 0ppm

NitrAte: Maybe 5.0ppm, maybe 10? Uncertain; it's an orange-y color, but not dark orange, like near 40...

This is why these results have always been difficult for me to test for; I am uncertain as to where certain colors "fall" when looking at the comparison chart...

Anyway, how does it look like I'm doing?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carapar56 View Post
    Can you do a test for us? After reading all this I'd like to see as to what your levels are and if you're actually cycled or not, I'm really curious.
    Indeed, Carap; test results posted...thanks.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a hard time telling between .25 and 0 with the api test kit as well. Since your nitrite is 0 though I'm guessing that ammonia is also 0 and that there is nothing to worry about. It doesn't hurt to do test regularly but unless the fish are acting unusual then there normally nothing to worry about as far as water parameters.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ClinicaTerraLTD View Post
    Indeed, Carap; test results posted...thanks.
    Even though your tank may be cycled, it may not fully seasoned yet, meaning the nitrogen cycle may not be fully established. I would perform daily tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If any ammonia or nitrite show up, I would do a water change to get them as close to zero as possible. Remember, water changes do not slow down the development of the bacteria needed to complete the nitrogen cycle. The bacteria live and grow in your filter media. If nitrates get above 30 ppm, I would also do a water change to get them down.

Daily testing will help you see a pattern. If the tests for ammonia and nitrite consistently show zero and your nitrates rise a bit with each test, then you know that the nitrogen cycle is fully completed.

You're doing a great job so far and you're using the best products out there, but I would continue to do daily water tests until you see the pattern necessary for a cycled and seasoned tank.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    If its any help to you, I have never had a bacteria bloom in any of my tanks while cycling them. Ever. What I do get, is brown Diatoms, in full swing, usually two weeks after the cycle is established. That'll hang on, sometimes for months ugh, but it does eventually go away.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank You, Everyone!

So, is it advised at this point to continue running the API test for, say, another week just to pick up on a pattern?

My original intent with this thread was to figure out why I never got cloudy water since starting up this tank, nor experienced a "bacterial bloom"...and if this was indeed considered "normal" or "okay"...

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds fine to me. There should not be a bacterial bloom or cloudy water. Sounds to me as you have done things right!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Hobbs...

Isn't a bloom or cloudy water -- in the very beginning of a setup at least -- indicative of the bio filter/cycle getting up and running, though?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes I had a bloom when I started fishless cycling at 8+ ppm (quickly figured out it was to high haha) but when I restarted the cycle I never had one.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty