· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

Default Anyone have experience with bearded dragons?

0 Not allowed!
    My wife got offered a free bearded dragon + full setup. I asked for more information about the specimen and what comes with it, and I'm doing the internet research. Anyone have any personal experience to go along with that?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Your'e going to need a heat lamp, UVB bulb, digital thermometer, large decoration or branch for the beardie to clime up (placed under the lights), calcium sand (if over 6") or reptile carpet, and a hut of some sort for hiding. For the UVB bulb, I would suggest a T8 reptisun 5.0 as they've been proven and are in the correct wavelength (some others go too far towards UVC which can be damaging to their skin and eyes). The T8s are better than the spiral bulbs because they create a safer gradient downwards and span the length of the tank compared to the spirals that can be too intense and only work when the beardie is under it. The heat lamp should be 75W to 150W depending on the height of the tank. You need to place the digital thermometer where the beardie basks because it should be about 100-110F in that area. The branch or decoration under the heat lamp is so that the beardie can move closer to the light when he needs more heat. Most prefer live crickets but you can also give them mealworms, and they're omnivores so you should also give them veggies often and fruits on occasion. When you find out the age/size of the beardie and the setup that's included then I may be able to give you some more specific information.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    Your'e going to need a heat lamp, UVB bulb, digital thermometer, large decoration or branch for the beardie to clime up (placed under the lights), calcium sand (if over 6") or reptile carpet, and a hut of some sort for hiding. For the UVB bulb, I would suggest a T8 reptisun 5.0 as they've been proven and are in the correct wavelength (some others go too far towards UVC which can be damaging to their skin and eyes). The T8s are better than the spiral bulbs because they create a safer gradient downwards and span the length of the tank compared to the spirals that can be too intense and only work when the beardie is under it. The heat lamp should be 75W to 150W depending on the height of the tank. You need to place the digital thermometer where the beardie basks because it should be about 100-110F in that area. The branch or decoration under the heat lamp is so that the beardie can move closer to the light when he needs more heat. Most prefer live crickets but you can also give them mealworms, and they're omnivores so you should also give them veggies often and fruits on occasion. When you find out the age/size of the beardie and the setup that's included then I may be able to give you some more specific information.
    I've read that the 10.0 is better than the 5.0 for UVB. Beardies start out primarily on insects but as they age, generally by a year they are mostly on a veggie diet(80% veggies, 20%insects), which should be dusted with a good vitamin supplement(such as Herptevite).
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by leaveittoweaver View Post
    I've read that the 10.0 is better than the 5.0 for UVB. Beardies start out primarily on insects but as they age, generally by a year they are mostly on a veggie diet(80% veggies, 20%insects), which should be dusted with a good vitamin supplement(such as Herptevite).
    The 10.0 can put out too much UVR in for a juvie in a 10g, but for a larger/taller tank the 10.0 would be better (which is why I asked for more details about the setup). And yes, their diets change over time which is why again more info is needed for specifics.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Minus all that techy stuff-a few of my friends have them: they are great personable and enjoyable pets.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys - I'm hoping it's not a young one, it seems like they require more work than the adults do.

I've seen a few sites speak highly of their temperament and/or personality. What does that really mean, in terms of a lizard? I had an iguana when I was a kid and it became quite ill-tempered as it got older. Became very hard to manage.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a breeding pair for a while, the male while by himself was content to sit on your shoulder as you walked around or would just sit on the back of the couch while you watched tv. On the other hand the female could not be taken out of the enclosure as she saw it as a chance to break free into the wild, a number of times she went missing after she bolted. Juvies are not that much harder to care for at all, I used to feed crickets all the time and just had celery leaves which they love and melon readily available all the time.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    Thanks guys - I'm hoping it's not a young one, it seems like they require more work than the adults do.

I've seen a few sites speak highly of their temperament and/or personality. What does that really mean, in terms of a lizard? I had an iguana when I was a kid and it became quite ill-tempered as it got older. Became very hard to manage.
    Basically they aren't as likely to try to bite you or tail whip you. They are pretty content to just chill with you as a rule.

They are nothing like Iguanas haha, Iguanas definitely can become aggressive as they reach sexual maturity.
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In general Bearded dragons are easy to handle and care for, as long as you read into it like any other pet.
    Just make sure the little guy/girl gets the proper food and nutriŽnts and keep an eye on the temperature and humidity and such things and you'll do just fine.
    Might be nice to add a few friends if the tank size allows it.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    This is almost everything you need to get started, great post.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's