· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I don't like these or other deformed fish. Many of the fancy goldfish types and balloon anything come to mind. I draw the line where fish are being bred for traits that interfere with their physical abilities. Some goldfish can barely swim. I really dont see how that can be appealing to people.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Exactly, Aeon. I don't see how others support the creation of this fish knowing very well how much the fish suffers through each and every day. I guess people care too much about how "cute" they look and pretend that there's nothing wrong with them. Ignorance is bliss I suppose...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am an owner of 3 blood parrots. Did I know they were cichlid hybrids when I bought them? Yes. Did I buy them because they were cute? In part yes. Was my intent to bring home a fish that 'suffers through each and every day'? No. I read many articles on BP's before I bought them. Most are not as condemning as this one and point out the positive aspects of the fish.
    My parrots do not suffer. I insure they are fed a balanced diet and live in a tank that has the highest maintenance schedule and I keep them healthy and happy. If I thought for a moment they were suffering, I would euthanize them.
    They are active, peaceful, familial, affectionate fish that play well with others - which is what I was looking for when I made the decision to stock them. To insinuate that I'm ignorant of the facts or that I would not take every measure to insure my fish thrive, is both insulting and hurtful - as I suspect it is to other BP owners who love their fish and participate in this forum.
    Please consider others when you voice such condemning opinions.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 03-28-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    My parrots do not suffer.
    I'd love to know how you are confident in this. Just because the fish is alive and moving doesn't mean the fish is happy and pain-free. As the author says: "Admittedly, some of them do incredibly well, but that’s only a testimony to the tenacity of life, rather than any credit to the hand of their manufacturer.". I've read about goldfish that survived well past their life expectancy of 15-20 years in tiny bowls and growing no larger than a few inches (when they should have grown about a foot long). Does that mean that we should all keep goldfish in bowls? Absolutely not. Just because several people here with BPs manage to keep them alive, it says nothing to how "healthy" they are or how fulfilling their lives are. They were bred FOR these deformities that cause them to have trouble eating and swimming, and that just sounds cruel to me. I see the breeding of these fish to be no better than tattooing or dyeing fish.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    I'd love to know how you are confident in this. Just because the fish is alive and moving doesn't mean the fish is happy and pain-free. As the author says: "Admittedly, some of them do incredibly well, but that’s only a testimony to the tenacity of life, rather than any credit to the hand of their manufacturer.". I've read about goldfish that survived well past their life expectancy of 15-20 years in tiny bowls and growing no larger than a few inches (when they should have grown about a foot long). Does that mean that we should all keep goldfish in bowls? Absolutely not. Just because several people here with BPs manage to keep them alive, it says nothing to how "healthy" they are or how fulfilling their lives are. They were bred FOR these deformities that cause them to have trouble eating and swimming, and that just sounds cruel to me. I see the breeding of these fish to be no better than tattooing or dyeing fish.
    So your point is you'd rather bully me than consider that my research may be every bit as relevant as yours and that these fish may be doing fine. Got it. Thanks for clarifying that.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    No one is saying anything against you or your fish keeping habits fishmommie, no one mentioned you by name or insinuated anything about you causing your fish to suffer. What we are saying, is many of the fish that have been bred to deformity, and yes the blood parrot is one of those fish as well as most of the goldfish varieties, balloon fish, and I will add the electric blue jack dempsey to the list because of the high mortality rate, suffer because of the internal defects caused by the way they are bred. You can deny it and get as defensive as you want, you will never convince me that crooked spines, deformed mouths, and cramped organs isn't painful to some degree. I will never understand the allure of fish that have been bred to deformity, especially when there are so many naturally beautiful fish available. I don't mind fish that have been bred for color (with the exception of EBJD's) but personally, I will never support the practice by buying a fish that has been bred to deformity, or the breeding practices leads to high mortality of fry and juveniles, or one that is kept in a cup until someone buys them, it all just seems like abuse to me.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    mommy1 is spot on here. You can be the best fish-keeper in the world but it won't fix the BP's deformities. The only thing we can do is not buy them, just as we do with dyed and tattooed fish, to diminish the demand and eventually stop the breeding of them altogether.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    You can deny it and get as defensive as you want,
    Statements like this one make it a little difficult for blood parrot owners not to get defensive and feel insulted : "I guess people care too much about how "cute" they look and pretend that there's nothing wrong with them. Ignorance is bliss I suppose..."

Such inflammatory statements belittling the intelligence of blood parrot owners on this forum who make many contributions in the form of time and input are insulting and disrespectful.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 03-28-2013 at 11:21 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I stand by my statement. If you research the fish before buying them, as everybody should, and you still choose to buy a fish that is bred for the purpose of looking cute through deformities, even though the fish suffers because of them, then either you don't care or you just convince yourself that there's nothing wrong with them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast