· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Good point!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just changed my 29 gallon from pool filter sand to oil dri. Rinsed it in a tote and multiple times every day and let soak overnights in between and last soak i added liquid ferts to the water it was soaking in. The color out of the bag was too light but after soaking it turned a very natural color. My water was cloudy for about six hours but looks very nice this morning. This is a new adventure with me a i did alot of researching before using oil dri. I wish i had a camera, but so far am pleased. There was a slight ph drop from 7.8 to 7.6 overnight. Will test again when i get off work this evening.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I just finished last night setting up my African tank in the living room from a river rock gravel to a full stocked tank with Black Diamond Grinding sand. My biggest problem was locating it. I had to go to a farm supply place way out of my way to get it. Unwashed, in tank it looks better than the $50 bag I got a few years ago of pool filter sand that was colored black. From ease of use and its overall look I really support Black Diamond Sand.

Also I have used play sand from home depot with no issues. The only thing to watch is the size of grain. There is a course ground sand that is better than just general sand. Its 4.93 here and is a nice tan color compared to the $3 for the general play sand.
    Here is the tank:
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think this is a good list to sticky!
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    I don't.
    A sticky reflects on the forum and IMO should look like it was written by someone familiar with capital letters. It is NOT too much to ask. [For starters]

Moving on.
    Why have play sand on the list when you incorrectly identify it as differing only in,y grain consistency? It's FAR dirtier and a massively labor intensive PITA to clean. I wouldn't use it or suggest it. Actually.. Would anyone recommend it?

I am not certain you have ever used black diamond since you previously referred to a medium grade [It is graded in #] and also said it comes in three sizes when it clearly shows 5 grades in the picture of the bag of it I posted.
    All 5 grades come in the exact same bag btw & they are just marked according to what grade they are. So I am not exactly sure what you are talking about there.

BTW - Turface has a website that will find their nearest dealer in NA .. Really.

Last edited by KingFisher; 04-22-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    While I understand your point of it being dirty. Its still an option. One I have used before and didnt have issues with it like I hear from others. Would I recommend it? Depends on the situation and availability of the persons resources. Are there better options? Sure but its still on the list of usable sand.

I personally used the size for black diamond that was 40-60?? I will check the bag when I get home and update.

To each their own.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    well goes to 11, i have completely stopped caring what you think about what i have and have not used so why not just drop it as such. 2ndly play sand is still an option for some people who want to use it. yes its dirty and a pain.
    notice how i linked the turface in my thread, the prices seem to vary, i for one have not used it but i know a few people who have.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I go to the gravel yard and buy a 5 gallon bucket of pea gravel for $1. I can get a 5 gallon bucket of river stone for $1. River stone is 1 1/2". You put the stone in water over night and in the morning you take a flash light and look for any oil deposits etc by looking at the surface. If it has oil put the stone on the driveway and try again in a few weeks. In 30 years I only had oil once on the surface and never lost a fish. They sell sand too...yup 5 gallon bucket is....$1.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about coral/puka shells for your tank. My new tank came with it and I am trying to find it if it is ok for my blood parrots who are in 46 gallon with natural gravel.New 90.jpgFantasia.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerTamara View Post
    [B]How about coral/puka shells for your tank.
    Crushed coral will most likely raise your pH. That can cause problems if you allow pH swings in your tank or if your pH do not like the pH in the higher ranges.

I've always liked using sand, planted substrates (like flourite) or a combination of the two.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]