· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Looking to add a tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I've a 55 gallon tank at the moment that's taller than it is wide. I'm looking to get a second tank that's longer than high and bigger than my 55. My 55 has Platys and Tiger Barbs, but I'm considering a larger tank where I can house a few larger fish. My 55 was nice because it came with a filter, lights, etc. I'm having a hard time finding a larger (60+ tank) that comes in an all-in-one package. The only things I had to add to my 55 were the heater, fish, and decorations. I'm looking for guidance. Before my 55, I had a 30. I'm a relative noob. Any advise would be helpful.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

1 Not allowed!
    Just to clarify you are looking for a tank that comes with filter/heater/lighting?

My advice would be to get a larger tank, but not slightly larger, a lot larger. If you like fishkeeping at all then the main constraint is generally tank size. When I joined I was told to get the largest tank that I could afford/house at the time. So if you aim to go for a 100G tank that will be a lot better than a 60G.

If you do not plan on keeping your 55g then the equipment can be moved into a larger tank. Then enhanced with more filtration etc

I assume your from the US as most member are, so I can't actually help with where to get package deals etc
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I haven't ever seen a kit larger than 60 gal. But even so, you generally end up replacing parts of the kits, like the filters, as they aren't sized large enough, or the lights if they are not adequate for live plants if you want to go that way.

If you have a good LFS nearby, not the chain stores, sometimes they will work with you to create a "package" to suit your requirements and may offer some of the components at a discount. Generally though, I have found the ancillary equipment such as filters, lighting and heaters to be cheaper on-line. But I would get the tank itself locally as it is probably very expensive to ship a large one.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking to go large. So, knowing that I can't get a "kit" for a large tank, then size won't be limited to that (just to what won't make my credit card gasp too badly). I have a really good LFS a mile away from my house. They are pricey though.

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent advice you've been given ... try to buy your tank locally, lots of times Petco runs $1/gallon sales, which is a real bargain...then order the rest of your stuff online, some great deals out there, and many times free shipping when you buy a certain dollar amount
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a new tank :) I got the tank (100gallon 60x18xsomething), stand, lights, and cover all as a package for $487. It's now set up with filter (canister…boy it took me awhile to get the tubes correct), heater, substrate, and background paper.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    photo.JPG

Here it is.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, that was quick! Now the fun begins - decorating, cycling, and stocking. Have you started researching what your stock might be?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Impulsive, I know. LOL. See my next thread about stocking options :)