· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 55g -Future Stocking Ideas

0 Not allowed!
    I recently inherited a 55g .....and I am 4 days into cycling ....with 5) G danios and 7) tiger barbs.

Ive done quite a bit of studying on this topic (stocking,compatibility,etc) over the past week, cause the last time I was in the hobby, we had no INTERNET!
    But...I'm confused from getting conflicting advice and details on compatible fish around every corner.
    I want to plan this out so that I have a successful community or species tank, planing territories as I build.

Me and DW liked the Oscar and Jack we had in the past. We know this tank is too small for an Oscar, but we'd love to have a Jack again cause our new grandson is named Jackson. Then we saw the Electric Blue Jack! We'd be willing to give it a go.

We both love the tiger barbs cause we've never had them before, but not so sure they can compete with what we want, but we'd like to have them.

The cichlids we are interested in are: EBJD or Blue Acara, Rainbow ciclid(T-bar?), Keyhole cichlid, Convict (females), Rams(not so much)
    Others/dithers we like: Red-Tail Shark, Albino-Bristlenose Pleco, Danios, TBarbs, Rosy Barbs, Denison Barbs, Larger tetras

It would be helpful if I could get some ideas on which combinations from these (others) will work in this 55g?

Our first choice is an EBJD combo. Im also considering a pair of cichlids (Rainbow or Keyhole), but still want to have another "contrasting" cichlid (EBJD,ACARA,Convict) plus dither/cats/barbs/etc.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ricky D

0 Not allowed!
    With some of the smaller fish I don't believe the JD will really work. I do believe they would need to be with only other large cichlids.

Tiger barbs are typically fish that need to be in a species only tank also... good luck. Make sure you research before you buy. Most websites will give you a min tank size for each type of fish. Usually this site has some pretty accurate breakdowns of different types of fish

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you saying in a 55g, an EBJD could coexist with a couple female convicts? ..or coexist with a Rainbow?...or 2 Keyhole

Would one of those combos work with the addition of a few dithers and bottom dweller of some kind?

If no EBJD is bought, could I have a Blue Acara + Raibow + Keyhole and dithers/etc.?
    .....and maybe some barbs or) any large tetras.

Ive seen all these fish Ive mentioned in one way or another clumped together in old forum posts across the internet,
    just would like a couple great stocking ideas that will work so I can have some options to provide the DW.

My head is in a tail-spin, and I want to put this to bed so I can get some rest! Anybody else out there a little bit OCD?

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    i'm no expert on EBJD's so i can't comment.

but for your blue acara, are you sure it's really that species? frequently they are mixed/sold incorrectly and are actually green terrors-reallllly mean fish.

but if you really can get a blue acara, then i'd focus on him, 3 keyholes, bn pleco, and 10 dither tetras of the bigger size. and you'll have a nice tank.
    but you are stocked very high with that. so id recommend filtration that is rated at 150gallons and a pwc of 50plus percent each week if you want to pull off that tank.

1 Not allowed!
    Mixing so many big bruisers in a 55 gallon is likely to end badly.

Any of the proposed cichlids will make a meal out of the poor fish being used to cycle the tank. Another good reason not to do a fish-in

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    **Update

Sometime back in April or May of 2013, I purchased a small (1.5-2") Electric Blue Dempsey. I eventually moved the Tiger Barbs
    to a 29gal and left the 5) Giant Danios as dithers. Later, I added a Albino-BN pleco.

After the EBJD grew to 4"+, I added a RedTail Shark* (or is that catfish?). That's how the tank is currently stocked. Ive had times though when I thought one or the other, (the RT shark or Danios) would have to go. The RT harasses the Danios.

Recently, the EBJD acted more aggressive towards the BN and RT shark. From the start of this tank, i had some large pieces of slate just lying flat on substrate, so a week ago, I lifted both with some stones to create refuge for the BN and RT.
    The tank feels a lot happier! Id like to post some tank pics later.

For know, here's a pic of the EBJD. He is now approx. 5.5''-6''.
    Any questions or comments appreciated. Male or Female?

IMG_1464.jpg

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    That is an excellent EBJD! I wish I would have seen this post before. I have an ebjd personally and its in a 75gal. I would say to get a small group of threadfin geophagus or maybe geophagus abalios or surinemesis. I am keeping in mind you have a small 55gal tank but with them in it and propper filters you could have the ebjd and the geo's being a non-aggressive counterpart. I would also go wth a big body tetra such as congo/lemon tetra for a schooling fish.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Sandz.

I'm not looking to add anymore fish to this tank tho.
    Is the mention of Congo/lemon tetra cause you think the 5) Danios will not make it in the end?

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    No, they should be fine - in fact you could increase that school to 10-12 easy. They provide the same thing and general shape and size as Congo's... I just think the mentions are more flashy.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Wow... beautiful EBJD. 1.5-5.5" is pretty darn good growth for 8 months. Seems like you've been taking good care of your fish. Looking forward to seeing a full shot of the tank.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.