· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    No. Flea bombs are not available on the consumer market over here. It was a topic on another forum some time ago. I took the trouble to look into it a bit and found a very toxic product. Problem with that particular bomb (can't remember the brand name) is that it left a residue which was not exactly safe.

I do know that quite a lot of flea powders use Pyrethrines and that's really toxic to aquatic life (0.1mg/liter will wipe out most fish)

Now, the first product on the NZ market I find isMorthein flea bomb. Active ingredients:
    Permethrin
    Fenoxycarb

Permethrin is a syntetic cousin of Pyrethrines. Both affect neurtransmitters. Permethrin is toxic to cats and fish. Both are linked to reduced intelligence in humans.

Fenoxycarb is a funny one, it's almost harmless to mammals and birds but, again, aquatic life doesn't take well to it:

Fenoxycarb is considered moderately to highly toxic to fish with LC50s ranging from 0.66 ppm for rainbow trout to 1.5 ppm for carp. Fish can accumulate fenoxycarb in their bodies up to 300 times the concentration in the water (1). Fenoxycarb is also considered highly toxic to Daphnia (LC50 = 0.6 ppm). However, under labeled use conditions the highest concentrations which the compound should reach are far below (0.1% to 1.0%) the levels of concern for acute toxicity to fish and invertebrates.

In one study, bluegill sunfish accumulated only twenty times the amount of the compound's concentration in the water. Tissue residues of the pesticide quickly declined after the fish were placed in pesticide-free water (6). Therefore, the EPA has indicated that it is unlikely that the compound would pose a threat to endangered aquatic organisms.

Fenoxycarb has demonstrated effects on the growth and reproduction of Daphnia at extremely low levels during chronic laboratory studies (NOEL = 1.6 ppt). These long-term, constant exposure studies do not however, simulate realistic exposures in the environment where degradation is rapid.

The choice is for the end user of course. With a powder you can direct the delivery a bit. Personally I would go as far as to tape up my tank if I used it in the vacuum cleaner bag. I'd have to be extremely desperate before I set off what's essentially a tailored nerv gas bomb in my house.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice, everyone -- yes Mortein was what I was thinking of. I used it a couple of times in my teens -- I had a really really long-haired cat (a Ragdoll) and fleas were ALWAYS a problem as we lived on a farm. I bug-bombed my room several times. Come to think of it, I had my first fish during that time -- a paradise fish in a 10g tank with a hood. And it lived.

If I went the bug bomb method, I was thinking of covered the tanks in towels, and then wrapping the whole tanks in cling-wrap. I can get industrial stuff from my partners work. I think I was just panicing at the initial horror of discovering a flea when we don't even have pets, the infestation probably wasn't even that bad.

I am annoyed that we have fleas though, considering we don't even get to have a cat! How unfair we're not allowed animals and yet still get their pests. The people in the apartment conjoined to ours have a cat, maybe that's where it came from.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, it's likely where they came from. I lived in an apartment building (briefly) that got fleas all over, from just a few cats. Somehow my apartment remained flea free. From there I moved to the flea infested apartment. Go figure...

You should protect the tanks to whatever level you are comfortable with.

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    My mom puts mothballs in the vacuum bag to kill fleas that get sucked up. We have a dog, and he's a walking flea circus. One of the reasons I don't want the thing around me... He's entirely too inclined to share his passengers ><

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

0 Not allowed!
    That's awful - poor dog.

I've had 9 dogs and never once had fleas.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    A flea collar does a lot and there's those skin drops as well.

0 Not allowed!
    Flea collars emit a poisonous gas.

Frontline (drops) works very well, though there are some people that have a problem with it. There are also people who think that feeding a dog dog food is bad. There are extremists everywhere, and in every hobby.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    leave bowls of vinegar overnight on your floor. You should see dead fleas in the bowl each morning. Keep doing this until you dont see any. Vacuuming frequently also helps. This has a 100% kill rate for the fleas that are sucked in.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    The dog gets taken to the pet spa for flea baths, and we got the skin drops from the vet. We even feed him slivers of garlic to make him taste bad to the fleas. But he's still crawling with them.

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

0 Not allowed!
    Killing fleas on just the dog wont work. You have to kill the fleas in its surroundings as well or they will just keep re-infesting.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff