· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Snails - The bane of my fish tanks

0 Not allowed!
    So I just recently set up a new 15 g freshwater planted tank and fully stocked it. Everything was going fine, until I looked this morning and I saw the very thing I was trying to avoid; snails. I have another tank (29 g planted freshwater) that I got snails in from the lfs I bought some livestock from and the snails have destroyed my plants. In my larger tank, I stocked it with 2 loaches (1 yoyo, 1 clown) to combat the snails. The loaches helped as my tank is littered with aftermath of the fish on snail war, but the invasion has been impossible to keep in check.

As such, I was extremely careful in adding my livestock, plants, and decorations to my 15 g tank. Nothing from my large tank went into my small tank and I boiled the drift wood in the tank. Unfortunately, I still managed to get snails! Obviously the loaches didn't do much for me in my large tank and I want to control the snails as quickly as possible in my smaller tank. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get ride of the snails in my new 15 g tank?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First off re home the clown loach now. They grow up to a foot long and need a school of other clowns to be healthy. For your snail problem I'd make sure your not over feeding first if that dosen't take care of the problem you could try either a snail trap (theres lots of posts about these just look for them) or an assassin snail.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    I think the best combo for getting rid of snails, even though it is a slow process, is to invest in 5 assassin snails, put a plastic cup with a rock and piece of lettuce in the tank overnight (remove in the morning) and then continue to watch how much you feed you fish. Over feeding will cause a snail population to explode in what seems like overnight

0 Not allowed!
    When faced with snails:

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice. The clown loach was inherited from my ex and I have not yet been able to find a good home for it.