· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default DIY lighting ideas

0 Not allowed!
    Ive found that aquarium lighting is very expensive, I could get a shop light on my tank for 20$ with just above 1 watt per gallon (even though this measeure isn't exactly great). Is there any other lighting options that won't break the bank, but offer me more lighting than the t8 s ?

0 Not allowed!
    I've used a two bulb T8 shop light before on my 55 gallon with some low demanding plants. only cost be about $20 to $30 and it worked great. The bukbs were between 6000 and 7000K
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Overdriving the bulbs is the next best thing you can do with a regular fixture. If you are not comfortable with this then you should get someone else to help.

You can also check out the odysea fixtures from aquatraders. They have had some quality control issues in the past but their new products have addressed them. I have been using one of their fixtures for over a year now with no problems.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How do you overdrive a light fixture?

0 Not allowed!
    Look into doing a DIY CFL bulb fixture, they are the typically bulbs you put in normal lamps. But they work well.

I have a thread on here. So far my 55 has been doing well
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=109593

0 Not allowed!
    CLF bulbs are another good option as Hardy85 has already suggested. The only potential drawback is the looks of it (IMO). I had to build a canopy to hide them for a set-up I put together for my dad. He has only low light plants but they are doing really well. I did put some 6500K bulbs in there for him

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How much to the cfls plus fixtures cost im looking for 25-30 $

0 Not allowed!
    Check Home Depot

I think I paid about $7 to $10 for each fixture, but I can not remember how much the bulbs cost.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks, i found some for just under 7$! now i can start growing my plants better, and have better lighting

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    T5 flourescent lights produce more lumens per watt than T8's. The cost, even in shop lights(amazon) is higher, but still the best bang for your buck. Dr. Foster and Smith have the best deal I can find on T5 HO(high output) aquarium lights. I'm still trying to decide what to do as well.