· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Attaching wood to tile....

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I have waited for the wood in my new 56G column to sink for well over a month. 2 pieces are still very buoyant. I do not have the mechanical ability to really attach the wood to tiles via SS screws. I had contemplated using Epoxy to attach the wood to tiles...would this feasibly work? Also is regular epoxy from Lowes/Walmart safe? It looks just like the stuff I have purchased from reef supply stores in the past.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think it would given the right epoxy.

I've used this to fix numerous stuff around the house/car (here is a link to amazon-but i've found this at any car part store/walmart/hardware store)

http://www.amazon.com/Quiksteel-Epox.../dp/B000S8G2HO

Stuff is beyond strong and will probably never break-like I repaired a broken headlight mount on my car, and it was stronger than the non broken one. lol
    -I'm not sure how safe it is after it sets and is underwater, but that could be solved with a clear coat of a sealer that is aquarium safe product?

another option:
    alter the decor set up to use rocks to weigh the piece down?

0 Not allowed!
    I would probably drill a hole in the tile and put a screw thru the tile into the driftwood. Just sounds like a safer plan. I don't know if I could fully trust the glue/epoxy to hold the wood in place. What would happen if the epoxy failed and the driftwood would pop to the surface or thru the top?

0 Not allowed!
    The shape of the wood has made it very difficult to get it firmly anchored with other decor. My hope was the epoxy would hold it down long enough to become water logged. It has popped up and down many times without any negative effects. I would just like to get this done over the weekend as I am very tired of looking at a bare ugly tank full of tannin water and floating wood.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    I used aquarium silicone to glue a couple pretty large pieces of driftwood down on eggcrate. It has held for over a year now. I don't know the shape of the wood and if it would have an area big enough to use silicone but just throwing this option out there for you.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use aluminium bonsai training wire of 1.5mm diameter
    wrapped around wood once and then around a tile or piece of slate a couple of times. If the wire is visible after I'm certain the wood is no longer buoyant it can be cut away using household scissors. I've used this wire for various applications in freshwater tanks and never noticed any adverse effects.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use natural slate tile and stainless steel screws for all of my driftwood. It is really simple to do.

Drill
    1/4" masonry drill bit
    2" #8 SS wood screw

Set the wood on the tile and mark the location to drill the hole.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    Aquarium silicone but the problem I see now is that the wood is well saturated so no silicone may work without drying out the wood again.

I vote for the ss screw. Worked great on the thin slate I used. Also on a piece of ceramic floor tile I picked up at Home Depot.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    I've used silicone on wood that was already saturated. I just used a hair dryer to dry the area I needed to put the silicone, it worked fine.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I tried using aquarium epoxy to hold down my it-will-never-sink driftwood and it didn't work- don't waste your time with epoxy. Aquarium sealant worked great attaching my wood to slate. Just make sure to use enough and let it cure for 24 hours before putting it in your tank.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - right now a QT, future Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"