· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default just need some advice!

0 Not allowed!
    i'm sure you're all very tired of posts from people who started fish-in cycles without even knowing what cycling was, but i sure could use a little advice.

i set up a 20g long room temp tank with an aquatech 20-40g filter plus a bubbler on the 17th, so a week + a couple days ago. i used a water conditioner and dosed the tank with freshwater aquarium salts (according to the instructions for a new tank) and put three mystery snails in. a couple days later, i bought six danios (3 zebra and 3 leopard). i didn't do my research and find out what cycling was until after that, or i would have done fishless. however, i got attached to the fish and really don't want to return them to petco (the guy who helped me there knew even less than i did!).

anyways, i don't drive so i can only buy supplies on the saturdays when my dad picks me up from my dorm. i don't have a test kit, just a pack of test strips (unreliable, i know) that don't test for ammonia. i picked up some seachem stability two days ago (forgot to get test kit while i was there, am an idiot) and i've been using that according to directions. figured it couldn't hurt. i also added a few rocks from my african clawed frog's cycled tank, but i don't know what good that did.

so i'm on day 9 of my cycle, no nitrites/nitrates according to the strips, pH 7.5, and no way of testing ammonia until this weekend. i've been doing 40% water changes every day since i learned about cycling. my danios SEEM fine: they've been active, but not too skittish, they swim over to beg for food when i come near the tank (i don't overfeed, don't worry), they play/chase each other, and they stopped schooling after a few days (i figured they're comfortable in their environment now?). they aren't gasping for air. the snails are active, feed when i put some spinach or algae wafers in for them, and seem fine, and i read that they're very sensitive to ammonia spikes.

so, questions:

what are the chances that ammonia IS out of hand and i just don't know?

also, since i add seachem stability to my tank water, does it latch onto filter media/gravel as soon as i add it or do water changes dilute it? should i add it in the morning and do my changes in the afternoon?

these are very dumb questions and i know i'm taking too big of chances with my fish. i'm also sorry for typing up such a long post, haha

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion I would keep doing your water changes....and get a test kit asap to keep an eye on your water parameters . Also be patient with the cycling as it may take some time with fish and frequent water changes . .
    . Scott.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Well test ur tap waters ph. If its lower than ur tank then theres a good chance u have ammonia.
    Next with your water changes (do them at least 3x a week till ur cycled. I know its alot of work but its best for ur fish.) Use a product like seachem prime or api ammonia lock to detox the ammonia. The ammonia will still be there for ur cycle but its not as hamful as ammonia. (If ur interested those turn ammonia NH3 into ammonium NH4.)
    Do not add any more fish at all untill u are done cycling, then add them slowly. 3 small fish at a time for a smaller tank.

Doing the leg work now will prevent heart break down the line. Btw dont ever feel bad about posting "stupid" questions and ur not an idiot lol. You picked out dianos for your first fish. They are very resiliant. But might be a but much for a 20g l.... But im not too sure.... So some one else might chime in.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okay, thanks to you both! the tip about pH is very helpful. it looks like my tap's pH is 7.5, just like my tank, so i guess my water changes have kept the ammonia from getting too high.
    would seachem prime or api ammonia mess with my ammonia readings once i get my test kit?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    no the ammonia test kit will read both ammonia and ammonium just the same. also they wont mess with your cycle because the bb will still consume them both just the same.

regular pwcs during a fish in cycle will prevent the ammonia from building up too much so you are correct.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!