· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default a few safestart questions

0 Not allowed!
    i have decided to cycle my 47 gallon tank using safestart

i filled the tank 24 hours ago and had it running after using aqua clear as in the instructions tomorrow i am due to add the safestart and some fish (was thinking 6-10 phantom tetras)

however today the water in the tank has been cloudy even though it was crystal clear at first and there is nothing in there but dechlorinated water a running filter and the usual gravel,ornaments and so on why is it cloudy and is it bad?

MAIN QUESTION-am i alright to add the safesatart and the fish to this cloudy water???????

as a secondary question i would perhaps like to add some more gravel and plants/rocks brfore i start as it does look a bit sparse but if i add them now before i start will i need to dechlorinate again first and wait again to start with the safe start and the fish,i dont mind but i only put 100ml of aqua clear in last night and another big dose seems bad

sorry for the long post but now im into the hobby no doubt it will be the first of many

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did you rinse the gravel? Did you rinse the filter media?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the gravel was very clean and more pebbly and smooth so i should imagine it wasnt that

however

the filter i used was one a friend gave me who runs several tanks and it did have used media in( i dont know if this is good or bad but i thought maybe the used media will be beneficial)could this be causing it as there is bacteria in there but nothing for it to do?,i never thought to put clean foam in but i did today(again should i have left it?)

to be honest my heads spinning everywhere you look there are a million answers and opinions yet none ever match exactly what you are looking for :D

i got into this to relax so far all ive had is paralysis by analysis....im overthinking every single thing i do or plan to do :)
    Last edited by gbone; 03-27-2013 at 02:14 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    What I'd do, get a frozen prawn or something like that. Tie in an old piece of pantyhose and dangle in. Add the safestart. Test the water. Wait 3-5 days, test again. If there's little ammonia remove the seafood and test in 6 hours, if the ammonia is gone and there's only nitrate you can start stocking.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    What is Aqua Clear?

I cycled my 75 gal in 2 weeks with Tetra SafeStart. It's a great product if you follow the directions to the letter. If not, you will have difficulty cycling.

I would wait to see if the cloudiness disappears. I assume your have treated your water with a conditioner - is that what Aqua Clear is? Wait at least 24 hours after adding the conditioner to add the SafeStart. Your filters and heaters should be going, then add your SafeStart - add the size that is appropriate for your tank. Add the whole bottle - you cannot overdose with this product. Within 2 hours, add your fish - be sure to only add fish that can stand up to the cycling process. Do not wait longer than 2 hours to add the fish.

After adding fish, do not at any time add any type of ammonia blocking/detoxifying product - it will kill the BB and stop your cycle.
    Wait 2 days before testing the water, then test daily using the API master test kit. You will have an ammonia reading and it is normal to not see nitrites with this product - my nitrites were 0 thru the whole cycle. Your readings can go from ammonia to nitrates, without a nitrite reading. Only do a water change if the ammonia level gets too high, otherwise do not do anything to the water for 2 weeks. Just like regular cycling, once you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and show nitrates you are cycled.

Good luck!
    Last edited by gronlaura; 03-27-2013 at 11:15 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Gronlaura, Aqua Clear is a hang on the back filter.

If the filter material was used, you have probably lost any beneficial bacteria in it by running it without fish in the tank. The purpose of used media is to "instantly cycle" the tank, as the beneficial bacteria are already living within that used filter media. Unfortunately running it without a food source, i.e. waste from fish, the beneficial bacteria die off quickly.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbone View Post
    the gravel was very clean and more pebbly and smooth so i should imagine it wasnt that

however

the filter i used was one a friend gave me who runs several tanks and it did have used media in( i dont know if this is good or bad but i thought maybe the used media will be beneficial)could this be causing it as there is bacteria in there but nothing for it to do?,i never thought to put clean foam in but i did today(again should i have left it?)

to be honest my heads spinning everywhere you look there are a million answers and opinions yet none ever match exactly what you are looking for :D

i got into this to relax so far all ive had is paralysis by analysis....im overthinking every single thing i do or plan to do :)
    If there are traces of organic waste in the used media, then the white cloud could be heterotrophic bacteria consuming the organics. A simple water change will clear up the cloudiness.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari View Post
    Gronlaura, Aqua Clear is a hang on the back filter.

If the filter material was used, you have probably lost any beneficial bacteria in it by running it without fish in the tank. The purpose of used media is to "instantly cycle" the tank, as the beneficial bacteria are already living within that used filter media. Unfortunately running it without a food source, i.e. waste from fish, the beneficial bacteria die off quickly.
    Thanks. I have two AC110s myself. I got the opinion from the wording that aqua clear is some type of water conditioner.