· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default My new lemon tetras...are grey how do I get them to color up?

0 Not allowed!
    I finally moved my koi out and got 10 lemon tetras shipped in today; they are all about an inch but besides a little yellow and black on their fins they're grey. Now I know they are new and scared and all shoaling really close but I was expecting some color considering my fish tank is mainly black they aren't what I thought I was getting, In time will they brighten up with tetra color flakes? also I read about plants helping the color as well which is my aim to have a heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes they will color up after the settle in a little. Plants will help. Their eyes will also get redder and the black outline on their fins will become more pronounced.

They should looks as good as these are better after a few days:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jsUC5q6P7Mc

Very good choice of tetra by the way!!
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    I would not be surprised about their color considering the (very traumatic) ordeal they have just been through. I would give them at least a week if not two before finally judging them on their color. if they still
    aren't colored as they are supposed to be by then, I would start looking into other factors such as water parameters, tank decorations and diet.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I never had fish fresh ordered at my LFS and picked up the same day but considering they all ate some tetra color flakes they aren't too bad off. The fish in steeler1s video are what I expected, you could imagine I'd be a bit sad to see mostly grey fish in my black tank.

PH wise it's perfect for them, there's no ammonia nitrites and almost unreadable nitrates. there's a lot of driftwood and the once crappy LFS plants are growing very fast but they seem to prefer the fast water as opposed to the plants all shoaling under the biggest filter.

I have tetra color flakes and blood worms for them; I use to feed my cichlids krill to enhance their color but the krill are bigger than the tetras lol.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I order all my fish online from Oregon (to central CA) and never have any problems with them. Just be patient and like madagasca suggested; after a few days start looking into other potenial problems.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden

0 Not allowed!
    They'll color up but are stressed after their journey. New fish should always go in a darkened tank and left alone for a day without food or messing around with them.

0 Not allowed!
    Just give'em clean water, good food, and time and they will color up.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's been so long since I kept tropical fish, I found a turkey baster and was wondering wtf it was doing with my aquarium stuff. Then remembered I used it to get nasty stuff from the top of my sand tanks lol.

I noticed they colored up a bit already and they seem to like bashing into one another; I haven't tried to determine the sexes but I'd imagine it's the males. My silver dollars would do similar things when they mated but I think this is just aggression hopefully since I have 10 a single fish won't get bullied too bad.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The males like you said will stage their "mock battles" but nobdy ever gets hurt, unlike chiclids that realy beat the heck out of each other.
    -Vince Lombardi

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everyday they look better; since I added a lot of plants it seems to be helping the color. They were certainly wild caught and all of them survived so I think I'm well off in that regard.

Since I have 2 LFS near me I don't wanna get the plain old fish I wanna get the special order ones I've never seen or kept before.