· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Apistogramma trifasciata?

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone have any experience with Apistogramma trifasciata? I found the species while scrolling through seriouslyfish.com's knowledge base and after finding a cheap pair online I though it'd be cool to get a pair for my future 20 gallon. They pair is still small, around an inch so I believe I can keep them in my 10 gallon until the 20 is cycled. My question is will the be aggressive or harm dwarf cories? I plan on getting a school of 12 Venezuelan Pygmy Cories and I want to be sure they'll be safe. I know they're might be issues when breeding or with the male pestering the female if he wants to breed so that's resolved. I'd just like to know if this species will be safe with dwarf cories and won't be over territorial.

I originally planned to get a Badis badis for this tank, as much as I like the Badis badis, it simply seems to dull colored. Being that this is for a 20 gallon I need a brighter colored centerpiece as my schooling fish are some what dull. As being the stock is 12 Venezuelan Pygmy Cories, and 16 Dwarf Rasbora(Boraras maculatus). Most likely I will cut the pygmy cory school down to 10 I don't know yet.. Either way I hope you guys can help with my Apistogramma trifasciata question. I wanted to get an Electric Blue German Blue Ram, but being as the species is very difficult to maintain because of its need for perfect water conditions I decided not to go that route as to spare a fish.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Doesn't anyone have experience with the species??

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    They would be fine in your 10gal for a good while. Also they will only be aggressive if and when they defend their territory. The corries should be fine. Provide a cave for the Appisto pair and everything else will be fine.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thankyou I probably should've chosen a different title.. It seems most people go by common names here and not scientific names

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    More common is that most people dont have direct experience and prefer to step away from giving bad advice without the experience. I have owned some 20 odd species of dwarf cichlids and bred most. Appistos are the best I have seen as far as aggression.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for the help :D I found some old clay pots that my landlord through into the woods. They're broken and I think they'd make perfect caves.. Do you know any threads or sites that talk about how to clean them? Should I just scrub them and boil them? Will the effect the pH or anything? O.o

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    you can do a vinegar test on them but as long as you boil and scrub and scrub again you should be fine. They are standard tericota right? I would also make sure you are removing sharp edges if broken very jagged.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I have a large metal file I plain to use to smooth out the edges. I assume their tericota, I've never heard that word used for clay pots... I thought that was a type of cheese. Thank you though. I'm going to clean and work on them now so they can go in my 10 gallon. Hopefully I should have ordered my apistos tonight or tomorrow. I'll be going with overnight shipping so I should have them by sunday or monday.

0 Not allowed!
    Soaking for a few hours in vinegar followed by an intense scrub has worked for me. After that sand all edges and corners smooth.

PS: its terracotta! = baked earth

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I was completely confused sorry. Never heard terracotta before. Only ever heard of the cheese XD I scrubbed them in boiling water and now they're soaking in boiling water. I don't have enough vinegar to soak them in, but will a quick scrub with vinegar work after the boiling?