· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default more questions :D mostly filtration / stock related.

0 Not allowed!
    20 gallon high
    whisper 20 gallon rated HOB filter - 3 years old
    aqua clear 20 powerhead + quick filter attachment.
    airpump + airstone
    Aqueon full cover 18" 15w T8 8k full spectrum light
    gravel substrate seems pretty smooth

stock so far
    12 black tetras

intend to stock
    corries 6?
    other suggestions ?

i have a small amount of floating plants in the tank. think its salvina + something else mixed in that i am not sure it may be babytears hc i think i will take pics. i intend to plant the tank with more low light plants like java fern an moss.

in the mean time hows my filtration and should i use the carbon bags or not (currently have one in)? after reading about carbon i am leaning less towards using it so long as i do proper water changes, which i am pretty use to from when i had the tank setup previously.

in the mean time is their anyway to improve my current cheap whisper filters capability?

how much extra mechanical an biological filtration is the powerhead quick filter attachment going to providing me with an is it enough?

any opinions on sponge filters DYI or otherwise for use in this setup here. I mean i can easily make one if its going to help and its worth it already have the airpump an extra stones.

In the near future what should i aim for to up my filtration to ideal for a heavy stocked tank? as i start working again pretty soon. :)

how long to wait before i add some more stock? a week or two is what i was aiming for.

thanks in advanced to all you lovely people that take the time to respond.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not really familiar with the footprint of a 20 high, but a couple of quickies - is the tank new or cycled? (your post sorta reads like established 3 years). What do you want - colour, movement, numbers?
    General rule of thumb - go for double filtration rating for your size of tank. From personal experience DIY sponge works fine, picture it as mechanical filtration on the outside surfaces and biological on the inner surfaces to get your head around how it works. If your tank is cycled and stable, add your new stock slowly, and monitor your parameters ( ammonia, nitrite and nitrate), to ensure your bio filter (beneficial bacteria) has the capacity to cope with the increasing load. Have a read of the cycling stickies to get an understanding of how it works, will really help with your stocking decisions.
    What you are probably looking for would be a small population of bottom swimmers (as you intend to be heavily planted) and a mid of mid level and surface swimmers. Good luck!
    Sorry forgot re carbon - only necessary after medication

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    RE: CYCLE i was doing a fishless cycle which went oddly http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=111169
    and now i think i know why. my tap water according to api test has nitrates at 10.0 ppm
    pretty sure that i am still properly cycled possibly after not seeing a spike. if my tap was 10.0pm and at the time i determined it was finished it was 80.0 ppm that means the rest of my nitrates came from cycling?. Regardless at this point i have fish in the tank and will be watching closely trying to get that down to 10-20 range and keep it their or lower if possible with heavy planting.
    The api nitrate test is a major pain just got a new kit with the new card ,still have my old cards individual test cards should i compare to those also later when i test again as i noticed they are ever so slightly different?

re:stocking i added the black tetras 2 days ago, so i am watching it closely and most definetly going to make sure its stable before i add anything. Definetly want the corries but was going to wait and get them last after planting more and possibly getting something else ? originally i intended to house a male betta in the tank but he started flaring at the tetras so that idea is out of the window now. So maybe something else thats ok alone and adult size is similar to the crowntail male betta i was going to house in that tank.

re:sponge filter/filtration which i think i am going to build one for now any possibly suggestions on a guide? Also is it possible to stick a roundish sponge in the canister for the quick filter attachment to just grow bacteria on or some other type of material like the stuff for fluval or aqua clear filter stages? i mean the water is being pulled through a tightly woven wool i think and up the canister and out the power head i imagine this would work? Also should i toss a tiny sponge over the impeller to keep plant mater off + grow BB? i took the carbon bag out of HOB filter can i also put media like a sponge infront of the existing one to grow more bb ? hehe i am just thinking of all the possible angles :) i know its a lot. honestly thinking of picking up a fluval or a aquaclear HOB rated for double my tank at some point after i am done planting etc, then removing the whisper filter as i am growing to hate it and i am sure its starting to see its better days as i didn't do the best maintenance on it monthly when i previously had it running.

* i wrote most of this earlier before the site was offline i am going to do my nightly test in the next few minutes :)
    Last edited by justanothertank; 03-27-2013 at 01:40 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    test results
    ammonia: some where between 0.0 - 0.25 can feeding effect that as its only been couple hours.
    nirtrites : 0.0
    Nitrates : 40.0 3 females that aren't color blind claim its this again.
    same as last night when i changed 75% of the water my tap source is nitrates at 10.0 so i imagine this is making it alot harder to drop that despite the large amounts i am doing ? go higher ? quick suggestion o would be nice on getting that down as i plan to do it within the hour or so. should i clean the filter properly no tap water take some tank water leave the sponge in that unplug it and clean the impeller + the housing i guess you would consider it. its been running for 32 days from when i first dosed ammonia during my attempt at fishless cycle.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I were you I would not be drinking your water or using it for cooking if you have 10ppm nitrates. That isnt good for you.

As for your fish I dont have a lot of experience with high nitrate tap water so I can be a ton of help. If you were to use a mix of tap/ro water that would bring nitrates down. There are also some commercial nitrate removers (havent used them so I have no experience). Also I believe the use of an algae scrubber can be useful here ( you mave want to ask Cremet as he using an algae scrubber on a freshwater tank.)

Good luck

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady10Godiva View Post
    If I were you I would not be drinking your water or using it for cooking if you have 10ppm nitrates. That isnt good for you.

As for your fish I dont have a lot of experience with high nitrate tap water so I can be a ton of help. If you were to use a mix of tap/ro water that would bring nitrates down. There are also some commercial nitrate removers (havent used them so I have no experience). Also I believe the use of an algae scrubber can be useful here ( you mave want to ask Cremet as he using an algae scrubber on a freshwater tank.)

Good luck
    yeah no i don't drink tap water hell not even a fan of really drinking water period unless its flavored :D . yeah i am on long island ny Suffolk county an it is known for its bad nitrates due to septic tanks and farms out east. high of 8.99 http://65.36.213.246/dwqr2012/wellFi...0Area%2012.pdf.
    this entirely slipped my mind for some reason when i setup again and its worst now in my district noticeably as we can see as first time i setup i kept some logs but most of them got seperate checking them i think never saw over 5.0ppm at my tap source and was pretty manageable just with water changes and no RO.

re scrubber you mean like a sump or algae filter i am on a bit of budget for the mean time, but can considering it in the semi distant future.
    Last edited by justanothertank; 03-27-2013 at 03:18 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    A scrubber doesn't need to be fancy. Even with a food safe plastic container and a cheap ebay pump you can already do a lot.

Reading the water... if that was coming into my house I'd invest in an RO unit for drinking water.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    A scrubber doesn't need to be fancy. Even with a food safe plastic container and a cheap ebay pump you can already do a lot.

Reading the water... if that was coming into my house I'd invest in an RO unit for drinking water.
    kinda off topic but got a good information source as that was a topic around the house :D last night probably will take care of that within the month.

in the mean time getting that down lower from 40.0 ppm in the tank. i did another i dunno call it 80 % last night not sure kinda eyeballed it and siphoned out of the window 10-11 hours ago. haven't tested it again yet. Ok so how i see it is Ways to handle Whats being produce by the tank is A Planting more , B RO water on a budget for 2 weeks don't really have money til i get paid when i start working again this only handles whats being added which is still a solution for getting it down easier via water changes. C algae filter DYI need good info source if i go that route but i am limited on space in that room as its a bed room and same problem cash in the mean time. D water changes + dosing tank with prime to detoxify it, which is painful due to 10.0 ppm at source. Is their anyway to figure out the math like on how much i am removing per percentage i am taking out roughly if its truly call it 9-10ppm at the source. If i can get that down to ten i am pretty sure i can see it hit 20 again and get it back to ten and manage that for awhile til Tap water problem is solved.
    Last edited by justanothertank; 03-27-2013 at 04:12 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    If you are indeed going to get an RO unit and not an ion-exchange softner (which will do nothing for you) then for now concentrate on keeping your stock alive. Get 2 handsful of amazon frogbit and let them grow, best nitrate filtring plant I've seen so far.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    defiantly working towards convincing the household into getting RO in the kitchen but that can be month or two before its over and done with at least.

oh an i figured id point my failure in my original post as i was being vague, to not have any confusion they are black skirt tetras not black neon tetras

Testing came up with
    ammonia 0.25
    nitrites : 0
    nitrates : 40.0ppm AGAIN for the third time. any ideas on how to get this down more via the changes % wise how much should i do when i do it again tonight ideally sooner vs later :D