· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Here

1. Default Newbie Here

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, So....i have a 29 or 30 gal aquarium. Dont remember the exact right off...but 2 weekends ago I cleaned out my aquarium from it just sitting with junk in it and old plants and rocks etc and evaporating water. I decided two weeks ago to clean it out...take it outside scrub it good and clean all the gravel really well. I decided to toss alot of the old gravel and dump in a bunch of new to mix with a little of the old. I filled up the tank cleaned out the filter..its a 30 gal power head using the cartridge filters that have carbon inside. A heater and the temp is holding around 76-77ish. I also bought a 12" airstone and pump. (never had in the past). I also put 3 small looks like java ferns back in my tank from what I had before.

Not knowing what I was really doing yet, I had my wife go ahead and buy a pleco that night. He seems to be doing ok.

Then we slowly added 3 mollies and 3 platys. then came 2 small snails and 1 big mystery snail. Then came 3 guppys. and an african dwarf frog...all over two weeks. Only one red colored platy ended up dying over the past 2 weeks. The others seem to be doing great.

Well today we decided to stop at petsmart and get our frog a buddy...but when we got home with a second small african dwarf, we noticed that the current frog seems suddenly paralyzed up front and a weird clear colored bacteria or fungus covering him some. If you barely touch him with a tank tool he will kick his back legs..but he just seems paralyzed with his back arched.

I tested my water with test strips the by Jungle labs and thought all was going well. ..but today I decided to get an API master test kit and do it the right way...and man were my strips wrong. My PH is showing around 8.0, my ammonia around 4.0, my nitrite around .25 and my nitrate at 0 or a little above.

Now ...I guess my cycle hasnt got up to par....

Anything I can do on the mean time to help? Also, I have noticed my carbon filter cartridge in the power head looks dirty, but I dont want to take it out or change it yet due to it being too soon......any tips for a newb??

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Large water changes every day with a good chlorinator like Prime. Your in for a bit of work for a few weeks. Keep up the water changes or find another home for your stock until your tank is cycled.
    Please check out the how to cycle with fish in this forum.

By the way, Greetings, and please post questions in the correct forum. They will receive alot more attention there.

Forgot the link,

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Have a read of that and maybe it will explain a few things I missed.
    Last edited by Strider199; 03-26-2013 at 12:46 AM.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks...i just did a water change a few mins ago 25%. I will do this daily if I can or 50% every other day. Im thinking about seeing if I can get someting from an established tank to put in my filter to maybe help speed the process.

0 Not allowed!
    well if you want to get some good bacteria in your filter (to cycle your tank) you need bio-max. carbon is not good at housing bacteria. bio media is something like this
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo.

you also need another filter. your filter needs to be at least double your tank size. so you need a filter that is rated for 60 gallons or 2 filters that are rated for 30. also i would do 50% water changes every day.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post

Now ...I guess my cycle hasnt got up to par....

Anything I can do on the mean time to help? Also, I have noticed my carbon filter cartridge in the power head looks dirty, but I dont want to take it out or change it yet due to it being too soon......any tips for a newb??
    That's because you didn't cycle at all. That and the fact that most "pleco" grow over a foot long are what worry me here. If you want the fish to survive your fish-in cycle you'd better start doing a lot of water changes. At the moment they arei n highly toxic amounts of ammonia

Oh, and if your filter only has one cartridge then replacing that puts you back at square 1

0 Not allowed!
    [/QUOTE]Oh, and if your filter only has one cartridge then replacing that puts you back at square 1[/QUOTE]

I think that he is already at square one. I would go ahead and change it to bio max. or you can get another filter and fill that one up on bio-max.
    its your call though.

0 Not allowed!
    It was a tip for the future.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    It was a tip for the future.

im not fully at square one. I never changed my filter since I started it up. Its still in there. I did add a bio foam in front of the carbon filter bag this morning. I got a fluval biofoam and cut it in half and put in front right before the water comes out. Does it matter if its behind the carbon or in front?

Also switched over to Prime for this water change a moment ago.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome
    You need to do much larger water changes and do them daily or possibly twice a day until you get your ammonia below .5 ppm. 4 ppm is deadly and you're going to lose a lot more fish if you don't take care of it asap.
    So - I'd suggest another 75% W/C today and every day until you get that ammonia under control if you want to save the fish. You're aiming for .25 ppm while you are cycling your tank. I'm hoping it's not too late and the gill damage from the ammonia is reversible.

Also, when you do your water changes, dose with enough prime for t he entire tank. In a 30 I'd dose with a cap full which is supposed to handle a 50 gal tank. the extra will help and possible dilute some of the bad effects of the ammonia.

Good luck and keep after it :o)
    Last edited by fishmommie; 03-28-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
    im not fully at square one. I never changed my filter since I started it up. Its still in there. I did add a bio foam in front of the carbon filter bag this morning. I got a fluval biofoam and cut it in half and put in front right before the water comes out. Does it matter if its behind the carbon or in front?

Also switched over to Prime for this water change a moment ago.
    did you add another filter? you do if you want to get all of your ammonia out of their. also, i don't think that carbon is needed at all. i would take it out. if you want cut the carbon in half. then add all the bio-max. it doesn't matter what order the media in the filter is in. good luck, what are your readings now?