· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I use a pitcher to fill up the canister body with tank water prior to clamping on the head. Then I just have to reconnect the hoses and plug it in.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    @jaysee Yeah if the hoses are already full of water that works fine. If they are empty it doesn't work well though and can risk running the impeller dry. The syphon method is excellent once you know how to do it.

@talldutchie I agree - Eheim have terrible manuals. I remember when I first got my tank and filter it took me ages to get it together. There were no instructions with it (a huge booklet on the warranty in about 300 languages though). Once you know how Eheim works that's fine...but I found it a challenge to start with. Previously I'd only owned a Fluval cannister filter and that has an idiot's guide with it.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    @jaysee Yeah if the hoses are already full of water that works fine. If they are empty it doesn't work well though and can risk running the impeller dry. The syphon method is excellent once you know how to do it.
    I've got 12 canisters - I know how to prime them.... it's just that my hoses are always full :) I've found filling the filter manually gets ALL the air out. Some filters, particularly the XPs, have a tendency to retain some air, causing a slight gurgling noise. Manually filling the filter eliminates that problem, and since many of my filters are XPs, I just do it for all of them.

Yes, any time you lose the water in the intake hose, you will need to re prime.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok..........
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2 Eheim 2217s on a single tank. One filter is cleaned every 6-8 weeks. Tank is heavily planted.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn View Post
    2 Eheim 2217s on a single tank. One filter is cleaned every 6-8 weeks. Tank is heavily planted.
    What do you have as biomedia?
    do you feel every 2months is too long? or how bad is cleaning?

0 Not allowed!
    If you're water values are where you want them and you got flow then cleaning is not strictly necessary.

As biomedia I'd advice anyone to go for sintered glass. JBL makes a few very good ones but that doesn't seem to be exported to the states.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 canister filters on my 65g Tank. both are rated for 300g, but with media an everything they would probably be 150g each. I clean mine maybe every 4/5 months. When i do open them they don't seem to be THAT dirty. Just the wool on the top tray is green rather than white, and the 2nd/3rd trays are full of ceramic rings which aren't that dirty either.

Testing for nitrates is the best way to assess what the cleaning schedule should be.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a rena xp3 on my 55g and open it up maybe once a month for a general rinsing out. It does not get very dirty.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    One tip. Get some vaseline and rub thinly on any o-rings your filter might have.
    Don't use vaseline. It will cause the O-ring to expand over time. Use silicone grease.