· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

Cool every dog has his day!

0 Not allowed!
    Normally people say if it wasnt for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Well last night this dog got his fat juicey bone!

I had noticed the people up the street had tossed a 55g and a couple big bags to the curb. Well me being me I had to go check that tank out. He told me it leaked, could never get the filters to work, always killed the fish so he was sick of it and was tossing everything he had. So on that, I started looking in the bags... all kinds of stuff. So into the tank all his "trash" went and to my house it went.

First fill the tank and find this leak... still full of water and not a wet spot to be found. I've bumped it, shook it, stopped around it... nothing... All it needs is new lids. Easy fix.

Next the light. Good old trusty 48" single bulb fixture. Power but no light... swapped out the bulb, not light... swapped the starter and POOF we had light.

Next in the bag of goodies was 2 aquaclear 70s. Missing the lids and pretty beat up. So plugged them in and oh boy what a noise the squealed out of it. So I go to take the impeller out and I notice the whole motor section isnt tightened down. it's sideways as if you were going to take it off. So now I have a pretty good idea where the leaks were coming from. lol Cleaned them up put them on the tank and they pur almost like new. Placed an order for a couple lids and couple new tubes for all of $15...

Next in the bag of goodies was 2 visitherm 300w heaters! Plugged them in and worked perfectly. What was off though was that were cranked all the way up. Was he trying to boil his fish?? I have them in seperate tanks at 78* in my 60* basement and the water temp is 76.7* right now. Pinch me I'm dreaming... lol

Next in the trash was enough plants to set up 3 tanks let alone a single 55. Also a couple small nets, a large net, a dozen air stones still in the packages, about 20' of airline, and a maximum-r airpump. That worked just fine too. Had to adjust the knob to get more airflow though. was turned almost all the way down. The only word that comes to mind is dumba**... lol

Now normally I would go get the person I grabbed this from and tell them what I found and see if they want it back... but... not for this guy. He's one of those guys who calls the cops when you sneeze in your own yard but when he walks his 3 mini mutts and he lets them crap in everyones yard and leaves it there. (our town law says you must pick up your dogs waste) He's called the police on me 4 times for shooting my paintball guns in my garage and told the cops I was up and down the street shooting at houses with a real gun! So needless to say, when the police special units team literally were about to invaded my house I was less then impressed. Coming around a corner looking down the barrels of 3 MP5s made me a tick cranky. The police were not too happy either. We talked it out and the boys in blue went and had a chat with him. He called the town on me because my grass was too high. I just got out of the hospitial after being mauled by a dog and lost the use of my right leg. Sorry not mowing the lawn in a wheel chair and it really wasnt a top priority at the time. And it wasnt even tall. The inspector showed up and said something like finally mowed your lawn? He was a bit confused when I told him it hadnt been mowed in 3 weeks. Does this stuff to the other neighbors too. Even the kids can walk down the sidewalk in a group because he calls the police and complains of the "gang activites" in front of all our houses. Better watch it... the 12 and 13 year olds are out!

So for him... ya going to keep the stuff with a smile. He threw it out, it was trash... one man's trash is another man's treasure... thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Replacement parts for the filters... $15
    New filter media... $10
    New lids for the tank... $20

Pissing my neighbor off when I explain my new setup that I got from his trash ... Priceless

that may be my luck for the year but I can live with that! lmao
    Last edited by Jaster; 03-25-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't rub his nose in it, just leave it be. Your relationship is strained enough already. If he asks just say there were some things in there that were usable for parts.

Good find, I envy you a bit.

Drifting off slightly. If they had invaded your home for nothing, do they pay for the damages like the door and the scourge marks of the flash-bangs?

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

0 Not allowed!
    It didnt get that far... I walked into them coming out of my garage.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

0 Not allowed!
    LMAO!!!

Congrats, things like that are always nice, but I second talldutchie by not telling him... he could say you "stole it". But every-time you look at it, just smile knowing what you know about it.

Didn't know you were in binghamton though, you should keep an eye out for the Erie county tropical fish club auctions, they are fairly big (twice a year)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard of them Hardy but I've never gone to one of the auctions. Normally I just dont have he time or the money. I know I'll want to buy one of everything. lol

Ya I know the right thing is not to say anything... and it's what I would say to my kids to do... but that little devil on my shoulder remembers the past 10 years of crap. I mean I would be a jerk about it or say something like learn to work your stuff. More of like after some fixes I got things working. He knows I have the stuff. He was laughinh at me and my son because he "knew for a fact" everything was broken and didnt work. You know I thought of that too. It really woulnt shock me that he would say that I stole it. He's just a mean person like that. My son took a couple pictures of the stuff on the side walk with the trash pick up stickers on it. It was more about me picking through trash though... lol
    Angel breeder wanna-be

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Man that is a freaking awesome story. I wouldn't say anything either lol sounds like he would just call the cops and say he had the stuff sitting out there while he was cleaning the garage and then saw you steal it. I would love to have a find like that.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    Even though I'm more Buddhist than Christian.. look up the serenity prayer. Even if you're atheist it still helps with situations like that. You cannot "win" this as long as you don't understand what makes that guy tick

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I would probably tell him of the time I wasted going thru all his junk - and then laugh at what a fool he is every time I looked at my beautiful aquarium.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Hahah LOVE it! You'll have to update us with further details when you get the tank up and running.

On a side note, do people chuck stuff like that out all the time? In NZ even for a scummy secondhand 10g glass tank with no lids or anything you're looking at like $20.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ^When people move in my area tanks are often put on the free section of our craigslist because they dont want to move them. In the summer stuff is often free on the curb.