· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Identifying a algae at the bottom of a gravel free aquarium. Please help me.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello guys,
    I need help in identifying a algae type growth at the bottom of my tank which has sprung up in 9 to 12 days. The only thing new I introduced into the tank was a new lighting system and a bunch of Elodea plant strings. I have included a photo, if someone could let me know if it is beneficial or not I would greatly appreciate.

http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/bo...quatic%20forum

Warmest regards,

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Brown algae? If I'm not mistaken? Its beneficial and is eaten by many algae eating species. It started showing up in my 10 gallon tank after I changed the lighting. My Nerite Snails love it.

0 Not allowed!
    Google some pics of Diatoms to see that is what you have

It does looks like it from your pic. Is it easy to wipe off ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I have the same thing in the bottom of most of my tanks. My snails and bristlenose go crazy over it. Whatever they dont get I just wipe off when I do a water change. My money is on the new lights or you're getting some kind of sunlight on the tank. I get direct sunlight on most of my tanks and those are the ones that get that.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

0 Not allowed!
    Do be aware that the dreaded blue-green algae, which isn't algae, looks brown and it too, is easy to wipe off. Often starts on gravel. Check your nitrates and if over 10 ppm and with more intense lighting, BGA can grow, as well. If your algae eating fish (if you have them) won't touch it, and it gets thick (mat like) than it is BGA.
    Knowledge is fun(damental)

A 75 gal with eight Discus, fake plants, and a lot of wood also with sand substrate. Clean up crew is down to just two Sterba's Corys. Filters: continuous new water flow; canister w/UV, in-tank algae scrubber!! Finally, junked the nitrate removal unit from hell.

For Fishless cycling:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640