· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Free Box O'Loot: What did I get?

0 Not allowed!
    I hope this landed in an acceptable location as far as the forum goes. I figure since I'm a beginner, and other beginners may run into similar questions, it was appropriate here.

This past week I lucked out on a Craig's List find for a box of aquarium odds and ends as well as a 10g tank. Some of the stuff I recognize, a few things I had questions on, and there are one or two odds and ends that I have no idea what to make of. I was hoping to get some help figuring out exactly what I got, what's worth keeping, and what I should junk. Any insight would be great!

10 Gallon tank w/ homemade plexiglass lid. Looks like I have a QT tank for my 20g!

Homemade under gravel filter screens? Any ideas? Junk 'em?

Assorted chemicals. Do any of these (or others) have a shelf life? Should I toss them, keep them, what?

Air stone. Would this be way too huge for a 20g standard tank?
    Last edited by Switchfoot55; 03-25-2013 at 06:45 AM.
    First 29g Tank: In process

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Continued:

A piece of driftwood. Should I re-soak and boil?

Assorted décor items:

Heater:

Heater close up:

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    that metafix shouldnt expire, those worms id toss just incase. nice find on the heater.
    those do look like diy ugf, i would keep them just in case you might want to use one
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Continued

16" working light:

Close up of current light bulb:

Assorted stuff 1. My guess: a bag of 1/4" tube, a tube/air manifold, and a canister sponge? Right or wrong?

Left over odds and ends. Mostly tubing and some old plastic plants:

So, any thoughts. Did I come out with some good stuff, or was it not worth the gas to pick it up?

0 Not allowed!
    Good score! 10g just needs a HOB or something and it's off and running. Jagers are FANTASTIC heaters and can heat more than other heaters with the same wattage. Sponge filter could be useful, as could the lights. And nice bit of driftwood -- I'd give it a good boil first.

Are the chemicals open? The test kit should be fine -- just test it against another ammonia test kit before you put any stock in it to make sure it's accurate. The melafix will be fine if it's unopened, if it's opened I'd be a little concerned, anything could have gotten in there. No idea on the water conditioner, and the worms should have an expiry date on them somewhere.

I also spy a worm feeder ring in that box. They're for putting bloodworms in, if you were wondering what it is.
    Last edited by Amelia; 03-25-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Northernguy A recruit for your piggy army - MuckyFish Piggy Sentry for your Piggy Army hopefully they help you not lose brakes. - MuckyFish beer for the birthday boy - Lady Hobbs For it’s medicinal properties, cheers and get well soon - Cliff 
    thank you - Indian Woods Angels Hammy Holidays to you! - Trillianne Have a great christmas gadget - Cliff Have a Christmas coral - Aeonflame Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    For the birthday thread. Thanks. - Strider199 Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year! - Rue Here comes the holiday swine, who hopes your holidays were divine! - Trillianne 
    Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thank you! Second round is on me : ) - mommy1 Thanks for spicing up the ban game! - pRED 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - gadget228 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - gadget228 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice find. You will need a air pump to run the sponge filter and the heater is a old style Jager which isn't fully submersible but there is nothing wrong with that, I have two of them and I would go ahead and replace the bulb in the light since you have no idea on how old it is.
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Amelia, I was wondering what that little cone thing was. Good to know that I can use it! All of the chemicals seem to have been opened already. It looks like whomever I got them from got them for a good deal because they all have $.50 stickers on them (that or she tried to sell them at a G-sale and have no takers). I tried the pH kit and it seems to be accurate. I'll have to play around with the conditioner though.

Gadget, from what I've read on the Jager heaters they seem to be a good solid choice. I'm not too worried about fully submergible since I'm just starting out.

As to the light, it's 16", and the bulb says 8000k. Not really sure what that 8k number is all about. Would this even come close to working for a standard 20g planted tank, or is it too small? In other words, just run it on my 10g QT tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Homemade undergravel filter looks creative.

You can put whatever size air stone you like in a tank. It's decoration. Normally a hang on back filter or even canister filter will provide more than enough surface agitation to introduce oxygen to the water.

Driftwood just soak it in a bucket of water for a few days. If it doesn't slime up or anything odd, good to go. Probably was used in a fish tank already.

The plastic decor may just want to give it a quick scrub in hot water before using them.

The heater is made by a good company, but with any used heater I like to test them just to be safe. Problems with heaters they may leak voltage, or overheat, etc... Good to test them out in a spare container or fishless tank.

The test kit you can check the expiration code if there is one on it. Most are good for 3 to 5 years.

Toss the food if it's open. No way to tell how long it was opened and if the food is stale.

Melafix might have an expiration date on it.

The item you called a 'canister sponge', is actually a sponge filter. An air pump with an airline hooks up to the the large tube at the bottom or an air stone is added into it. Sponge filters are a great source of biological filtration. I have many tanks that have just sponge filters in them for filtration. They are ideal for quarantine tanks or fry tanks.

The box seems to have some uplift tubes for an undergravel filter.

0 Not allowed!
    The item you called a 'canister sponge', is actually a sponge filter. An air pump with an airline hooks up to the the large tube at the bottom or an air stone is added into it. Sponge filters are a great source of biological filtration. I have many tanks that have just sponge filters in them for filtration. They are ideal for quarantine tanks or fry tanks.
    If you get your hands on an airpump, you'll be able to use that sponge filter for your 10g quarantine. And you can just run it somewhere in your 20g to keep it seeded for when you need you use the quarantine.