· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Small Tank Setup

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

Moving into a house next year at uni instead of onsite so it means i can finally set myself a fish tank up while i'm there :) will only be a small set up, a 24inch (L) x 12inch (W) x 15inch (H) and will be unheated for cost efficiency. The room will be a steady 18C. Just looking for some ideas of what you guys would stock in this situation? the obvious choice would be white cloud mountain minnows, just want to know what else is out there for this setup, also you can suggest fish with a slightly higher temp range and i will contemplate using a heater to increase a few degrees :)

All suggestions welcome :)

Cheers,

Harry
    75 Litre (20 Gallon) - 5 Harlequins, 6 Cories, 2 Golden Barbs, 1 Glowlight, 2 Red Wag Swords (Male and Female), 4 Otos

113 Litre (30 Gallon) - Empty (Waiting to build a stand before i use it)

60 Litre Hex - Empty

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    If you want an odd species that isn't over active and doesn't need much space you should consider Hara Jerdoni. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hara-jerdoni/ Its quite an interesting looking little catfish and in your tank you could have quite a few of them. For schooling a cooler water danio or loach could work. If you're looking for warmer species I could suggest maybe a dwarf cory such as corydoras habrosus or corydoras pygmaeus. With a schooling fish being maybe dwarf pencilfish, ruby tetras, lambchop rasbora, or any other small schooling fish. If you wanted a larger centerpiece fish you could choose a badis badis, maybe a dwarf cichlid such as a GBR or a wild betta species. There are other species of betta than the common betta splendens. A gorgeous warm water betta fish that gets to 3 inches is the Betta Pugnax. I hope I helped in some sort of way. Also on that site seriouslyfish.com go to their knowledge base and you can search through and find the fish that fit your needs.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is very helpful, definitely got me thinking about more odd species and species i had forgotten about :) i will have a search with that website :)

Any other suggestions are welcomed :) more the merrier :)
    75 Litre (20 Gallon) - 5 Harlequins, 6 Cories, 2 Golden Barbs, 1 Glowlight, 2 Red Wag Swords (Male and Female), 4 Otos

113 Litre (30 Gallon) - Empty (Waiting to build a stand before i use it)

60 Litre Hex - Empty

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome. Check out the rasbora section. They have a nice selection of dwarf species that stay under an inch long. Such as the boraras naevus, boraras uropthalmoides, boraras merah, boraras micro, boraras maculatus, and boraras brigattae.

0 Not allowed!
    Everybody don't forget the fact that the tank isn't going to be heated. Many above proposed stock will require temperatures above 24 degrees Celsius and some(betta, rams) will need temperatures of 26 degrees Celsius at a minimum. For a tank that stays at 18 degrees, badids are a rare but interesting option. Common Paradise fish will enjoy the cooler temperatures too but are more aggressive. A calmer alternative is the spike tailed paradise. White Cloud Mountain minnows are awesome fish but if you don't like them, many species of barbs as well as zebra danios will like your temperature. Some fish that stick more to the lower half of the tank would be fathead/rosy red minnows and ameca splendens. Both are hardy but the latter might be a bit nippy. If you put in a whole bunch of power heads and have a lot of water movement, you could also stock hill stream loaches and combine them with a fast surface swimmer such as the white clouds or zebra danios.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I know. I even stated which species were warm water and cold water. ;D He did also however list that if he found species he liked that were warm water that he'd be inclined to purchase a heater.