· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

Default ID help? and How to sex these critters?

0 Not allowed!
    Here is my favorite little buddy, this fish is a survivor- it survived a huge power outage in October of 2011 that lasted 8 very cold days (in New England).I lost all of my other fish and I thought this one was a goner too, until I went to scoop it out of the frigid water and it swam away from me, lol, I was shocked that it was still alive. I have no idea what type of Pleco this is because I haven't seen pictures of this particular "paint job". I also don't have the slightest idea of how to sex Pleco's. Any help will be appreciated. PS, this fish is 3 years old now and 8 inches long.
    Last edited by Longshot; 03-24-2013 at 08:29 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, there is no single to sex plecos. That's because what people like calling "pleco" is the family of loricariidae with more that 30 genus and 1200 species.

Yours is probably some kind of Pterygoplichthys, difficult to be sure because I'd need to count the rays in the dorsal fin for that. Within that genus it's hard to be sure, I suspect it's Pterygoplichthys multiradiatus. In any case, this fish still has quite a bit of growing left to do yet.

Sexing these is tricky, they do have a small sticky out bit but you'd have to wait for it to sit on the glass.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Well, with those kind of numbers I see how this presents a poser. Thank you very much for the reply. Seeing that I have no intention on breeding it, I guess it doesn't matter the sex. I really love this fish partly because I haven't seen another one quite like it. With 1200 species I rather doubt I would run across another one per chance like I did with this one. I truly appreciate the scope of knowledge it requires to do what you do with those odds! Thanks again!

0 Not allowed!
    Breeding these is next to impossible for the average hobbyist. You'd need a small pond with one mud wall in which they could dig.
    And even then the question is, should you do it? There's already too many of these in the trade, especially in North-America and few people have the tank size necessary to keep these properly.

Good luck with this fish, treat it well, feed it a varied diet (blanched veg, some thawed seafood, bloodworms if you got them) and it should easily last you another 15-20 years.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I feed my fish bloodworms twice a week, I hand feed the pleco an algae tablet every other day they also get Hikari micro pellets and flake food. I will start putting in some blanched lettuce if that is recommended, I'm sure the Anostomus would enjoy it as well. Thank you for the info, every bit helps.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you're doing well.

Some of these guys love leaf veg like lettuce and spinach, others don't really go for it. Only one way to find out.