· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Filtration

1. Default Filtration

0 Not allowed!
    I have been reading a lot about having extra filtration, and it seems like a good idea. I am currently experiencing some nirtite issues and hoping that some extra filtratio might help. I have a 36 gallon with a Tetra Whisper 40i currently running in the tank. I also have a Tetra Whisper 20i that I am not using and could add. Would it be better to add the second filter, leave it alone, or purchase a bigger filter? Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    I'd go with a bigger filter.

Rule of thumb is that you need about double what your tank is. You have a 36 -- so you need 72. If you add the 20 with the 40 you'll have 60, but you have to cut that number in half to consider the room that your media takes up. So, as is you are currenlty under filtered.

Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone! I'm pretty sure that's what the rule is, it seems to me (after writing it) that having a HUGE filter for a 36g might be too much?
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    I saw a youtube video with someone using an Eheim Professional 3 on a 40 gallon tank without it being too much flow, so I'd imagine it would be hard to get too big of a filter.

There are 2 schools of thought here. You can get one big filter to replace the 2 smaller ones, or you can get 2 medium sized filters, or one big filter and keep one of the small.
    The benefit to actually having 2 different filters is that if one breaks, you have a back up still providing BB in your tank.

Like Mandy said though, it's not so much the quantity of the filters as it is the amount of gallons they filter. If this was my tank, I would personally shoot for 100G worth of filtration (which would be about 3x the amount of gallonage for your tank)
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you guys for the great advice! I took a look at the Eheim Professional 3 filter, but unfortuantely, it is way out of my price range. Any suggestions for a good filter that would do the job but would be a little cheaper? Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    AC110 is pretty good. You're looking at right at $100, or just under. You could use that, and one of your other filters.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was hoping to spend a little less if possible. Would the Aqueon 55/75 do the trick? I don't want to waste my money and get something that isn't going to do the job, but money is a little tight right now. Thanks!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you leave the tetra 40i on the tank you can easily get away with only spending 30-35 more for a second filter. The aqueon filter or an ac 70 would make a good second filter. Check out online stores and amazon for filters you will pay way less. The ac110 that Mandy mentioned is only 65 online. Good luck.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Purchased my 2 AC110s at thatpetplace.com, right now they are $64.02. Or 2 AC50's are $29.82 each - that would give you a good backup if one went out. The AC70 is $39.39. If you can get your order to $99, it's free shipping. Dr.foster & smith have a higher price (AC110 $74.99 - AC50 $34.99) but have free shipping on $49 or more.

Love my AC110s.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I get the AC110 would I need to get another filter or would just the one do the trick? Thanks for the help!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First - until you get another filter or a bigger one start using the Whisper 20, something is better than nothing!!!

Second - Are you good with you hands? Have you thought of making your own filtration system? A sump filtration system has two HUGE advantages over canisters. 1) More total water volume and 2) more area for filtration media. Plus you could DIY and save some money. Just a thought.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project