· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    you always find the coolest videos, Steeler!!
    Indeed! lovely animals in a lovely home!

0 Not allowed!
    That's an excellent video. What a nice, active, but peaceful, tank!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Check out rosy barbs and congo tetra.
    +1 to the congos

They have turned out to be a great deither fish to keep with my severum.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    congos and Buenos Aires

0 Not allowed!
    I have 4 different rainbow schools (boesmani, yellow, turquoise and red) with my severums. Congos are nice, but rainbows aren't called rainbows for nothing. Guests always think my 125 is saltwater - they didn't know freshwater fish were so colorful :)

Also in the tank i have a school of Denison barbs, as well as Angelicus, zebra and kuhli loaches, BN, RL and clown plecos, chanchito and Bolivian rams, and pearl gouramis.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Are the Denisons aka "redline torpedos"? Those are really cool looking but I have only seem them one time at the LFS and they were 21 USD each, *gulp*! The rainbows are the only fish that I have that aren't South American and I'm trying to stick mostly to SA's. The Rainbows get along well with the others and catch no grief from anyone else therefore I will be building a shoal of them, I will probably get rid of my female and go with all males. So far I'm torn between Serpae and Buenos Aires for dithers...Oh the decisions one has to make, lol. I was just looking at pics of the B.Aires, do they typically have that greenish yellow iridescence? Because if they do, I think I just leaned more toward Them.
    Last edited by Longshot; 03-25-2013 at 05:29 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, they are redlines, and yes they are expensive. Though, recently farm raised fish have hit the market and they are reasonably priced.

If any of the fish you've mentioned will be dither fish, it's the rainbows. If you build up their school, and say you add the BA tetras, the BA tetras aren't going to be your dither fish any more than the rainbows will be. They may be less likely, if they hang lower in the tank, which I suspect they do because rainbows hang towards the top. Serpae tetras hang near the bottom. Too, serpaes are small and may wind up as a snack once the severums get bigger. Dither fish are supposed to be active swimmers near the top of the tank, which serpae tetras are not.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes the Buenos Aires have greenish yellow iridescence you asked about. There is also an albino color morph that is kind of attractive but not as much as the original form, IMO.

Heres another video.

The only reason I'm pitching the Buenos Aires; is you said you wanted to stay with a S. American look. If Bloodfins were not smaller and Silver I would be recomending them.

Whatever way you go, go with what you think you will like the best in the long run.

Cheers!
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    well then back to square one, guess I'll just build up my rainbows and call it good. I have a lot of lower level swimmers and need something for the upper part. The rainbows are all over the place so I guess I will get several types for the colors. So for wasting your time, but I did learn a few new things- so in the end It wasn't a total loss. I would rather learn this way than the HARD way. Maybe for gits and shiggles I will by a few B.A teras and see how it works out.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not saying not to get the BA tetras - just trying to point out that in a community tank with cichlids, that all the non cichlid fish are essentially dither fish. It's just that traditionally, dither fish hang at the top of the tank. If you like the BAs and you have room for them, get them.

No wasted time as long as something was learned :)
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast