· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan1229 View Post
    So im looking at either getting 2 eheim classic 2217 cans or 2 fluval 405 can filters for this new tank. The fluvals cost more, and ive had a fluval canister on my 55 tank for years with no problems. Ive never used eheim but they seem to be rock solid filters, Which do u recommend?
    I like the simplicity of the eheims but if you prefer fluval then go for that.

Also a good heater for the tank, I have one now not sure which brand, but I need a bigger one for the 150 gal tank Im getting. Im leaning very heavily towards live plants now as well, if it makes a difference.
    Not for the heater. If you can afford it go for Eheim/Jager. I'd stick in 2 of 300 watts each on different sides of the tank. Also get a glass in-tank thermometer.
    Also like I said, I have had fish for a long time with 10, 20 and 55 gal tanks, but I have always had handed down supplies and equipment, so this is the first time I am buying brand new equipment and I don't want to waste money, I want a very good setup the first time and I have up to $2000 to spend on filters heaters and equipment. I would like not to spend it all, but am willing to pay for good stuff, and want it done right. You guys are the experts so let me know!
    Pfff... that shoudl be perfectly possible. Personally I don't like to spend cash unnecessary but that's just me.
    Quick question as well, If I do run 2 canisters that each are for like 150 gal tanks, does it make maintaining the tank easier as far as water changes and stuff? Im assuming it does.
    Has no effect on water changes. It does make filter maintenance easier since you can do that alternately. Also if you make an error on one it will not wipe out the tank right away. I mentioned 2 filters because 1 big enough to handle your tank will be expensive and I know that on this forum heavy filtration and redundancy are popular.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan1229 View Post
    So im looking at either getting 2 eheim classic 2217 cans or 2 fluval 405 can filters for this new tank. The fluvals cost more, and ive had a fluval canister on my 55 tank for years with no problems. Ive never used eheim but they seem to be rock solid filters, Which do u recommend?
    I have 2 2217s on a 90g. I don't think that they'll be enough for your 150 especially if you plan on stocking heavily. However, the Eheims are amazing, I bought them second hand and they perform wonderfully. No regrets whatsoever. If you're dead set on canisters, I would recommend the Eheims along with generic media. You may want to look at sump filtration for a tank that size.

Also a good heater for the tank, I have one now not sure which brand, but I need a bigger one for the 150 gal tank Im getting.
    Hydor In-lines are awesome. A few people around here including myself can vouch for them.

Im leaning very heavily towards live plants now as well, if it makes a difference.
    It does. You need a lighting system. How crazy you want to get with it will depend on what types of plants you want to keep and how quickly you want them to grow.

Also like I said, I have had fish for a long time with 10, 20 and 55 gal tanks, but I have always had handed down supplies and equipment, so this is the first time I am buying brand new equipment and I don't want to waste money, I want a very good setup the first time and I have up to $2000 to spend on filters heaters and equipment. I would like not to spend it all, but am willing to pay for good stuff, and want it done right. You guys are the experts so let me know!
    Thats the right idea. Invest in quality even at a price (but its always nice to find quality stuff for cheap ).

Quick question as well, If I do run 2 canisters that each are for like 150 gal tanks, does it make maintaining the tank easier as far as water changes and stuff? Im assuming it does.
    The number of canisters you have won't affect your water changes. It is nice though to be able to service just half your media as messing with it usually results in a bit of BB die off which isn't good for your fish. You'll be carrying your eggs in different baskets so to speak.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn View Post
    I have 2 2217s on a 90g. I don't think that they'll be enough for your 150 especially if you plan on stocking heavily.
    the 2217 says it up to 159 gal tanks and 208 gph circulation.... you don't think 2 of them is enough for 150 gal tank?

And yes I want to invest In the best I can get, I plan on having this tank in my new home for years to come. Maybe some day try a salt water tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said, heavy filtration is popular here.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so when u said heavy, u meant like abrams tank heavy..... Well I don't think I can run 3 canisters on one tank. What else you got then? Im looking at a fluval Fx5, the newer Fx6 or eheim pro 3 models. Any suggestions as to whats a better option? Also looked at a Rena xp3. Any good?

Another note, I have an old 125 gal tank I haven't used in my current place due to space issues... But in the new home, I can fit it in the same living room with my 150 gal. So if I wanted to run both, do you think the 2 eheim 2217s could take care of 125 gal? Hope this place has strong floors.. lol (single story home on a concrete slab.)
    Last edited by spartan1229; 03-26-2013 at 07:24 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    150 gallon is about 560 liters I think? A 2217 does about 1000 liters an hour. Get two of those and you're at about 4 times tank volume/hour. To me that would be quite sufficient for a community tank. A pro3 2075 does about 1200 an hour and offers convenient features like media baskets and a priming button. Nice things.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright then, I got it narrowed down to either 2 2217's or a Fluval Fx5. Anyone who has an Fx5, lemme know how u like them, they seem to have a great media space. I could add one 2217 to the fx5 if it is not doing the job and I like the idea of a second can in case something goes south. Also getting 2 Jager 300w heaters, let me know if that should be efficient. Any other equipment I may need let me know.

And I would like to thank those who have replied so far, great info and its making it a lot easier for me. Once this thing is up and running, ima get some pics up.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can say those 2 heaters will be plenty. I run one jager 300w on my 125 gallon tank and keep it set at 81° and it does a great job. I have a backup heater that I keep meaning to put it but I need another set of hands to do it.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, so heaters are a go. On to lighting, I think ima have some easy low light plants at first and maybe later, add some harder plants. Im gonna get some java ferns as they seem to need low light and are easy to care for. What other plants can i use, i would like a short grass for the middle of the tank, a soft bushy plant for fish to hide in and a tall growing plants for the sides and back of the tank. Maybe a floating plant too. Suggestion on what could work? And Bulbs for the tank, ive never had to buy bulbs to grow plants so what kind for the tank. Ive read the links provided but still a little confused. Can i use Led lights as well?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just an update, so I have the heaters and the 2 eheim 2217 are on the way. Im still debating doing live plants or fake, I went to a not so local fish shop, Its more of a hobbyist fish keepers store than a petco or something, the guy was very knowledgeable about fish, but said in his experience, live plants are not worth doing. His personal tanks never used them and he has a ton of fish, anyway.... what are the benefits and cons of live plants? He sells the lants too and said he would help me out for what to get but said he doesn't recommend them. (imagine that, not recommending an item you sell....)Also the tank came with no lid or hood, so I am going to make one custom for it.

My fiancée came with me to the lfs and I wanted her to pick some fish, of course she picks everything I cant put in there lol but she really wants a tiger Oscar..... can they be peaceful with other tank mates or should I just set up a second tank for him. If a second tank, what size for an Oscar and any tank mates or alone? whatevers best. I have a spare 55 gal tank, as I seem to collect 55 gal at every turn. Just picked up a 30 gal as well from a friend, maybe some day ill do a small fowlr tank or something.