· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Looking for possible cichlid.

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept golden wonder kills for a while. I had kept a male with females, as well as 2 males together. I wast sure how the two males would do, and was pleasantly surprised that they did very well together. I had them (full grown) in a 45, a 55 and a 90. I moved them to the 125, and they did great in there too. Until they didn't.... All of a sudden, 125 wasn't enough for the 2 of them - I had to remove one. These fish had been fine together for a couple years, in much smaller tanks. Just another example of how things "work" till they don't.

Awesome fish though, and unlike many killi species, they live fairly long.

You aren't going to find chanchitos in any fish store. I had bought mine from a member here, and they might be available on aquabid (same person selling them, if I'm not mistaken).
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fish Gallery houston's cichlid section has over 30 diffirent cichlid tanks. They probably would have them, but I need to know if a flag cichlid pair would work.

Also, how would 4 madagascar rainbowfish do in my tank setup? I am putting in water today, and will start with some rock decor hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    6-8 zebras(6 if it will leave more room)
    2 ? Plecos
    16 tiger barbs
    3 swordtails
    2 ? Cichlids
    Now we're getting somewhere!

6-8 Zebras sounds perfect. I'd probably just get 6 to start with, you could always add 2 more later.

16 Tiger barbs is perfect -- could have 4 of each colour. I don't like the Glofish Tigers much, but there's a new Tiger colour called "Platinum Tiger" and it's really nice, it's like a pale ice-blue with red-tipped fins. Lovely. 4 of those, 4 greens, 4 albinos and 4 regulars would look stunning.

3 swordtails sounds great -- go for 1 male and 2 females, unless you don't want fry. Then all males or all females.

2 cichlids -- you'll probably find you'll have to get a couple more if you're after a pair and then rehome the "spares" once a pair forms. I've just looked up the "Flag Cichlid" you've been asking about and the Festivum which has already been suggested to you came up. Is this what you were thinking of or were you thinking of the Dwarf Flag Cichlid? Anyway I think either would work, but the Festivum Flag Cichlid would probably be better suited. Plus they are nicer IMO.

Dwarf Flag Cichlid -- http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...ara-curviceps/
    Festivum Flag Cichlid -- http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...auta-festivus/

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2 Festivum or Chanchito. I'll call fish gallery tomorrow and ask about chanchito.

I could also do 20 and 4 of each (5 total) or 15 and 3 of each for barbs

Would madagascar rainbowfish (4) work? They get up to 4 inches and are rainbowfish so they could probably suit the slight aggresssive tank. I'm shooting for either 4 killies or 4 rainbowfish.

Also, putting in gravel and water tomorrow. I will have many slates on the gravel just in case the loaches dont like the gravel, but I am thinking they will be in the driftwood most of time. Here is what will go in tank(decor):

Planted, the toughest plant I can find, dont want loaches or anything else eating. Also, I saw these large white rocks with many holes in them, I could see the zebras loving them. About 4 caves. Large Driftwood piece(Going to find one with holes for loaches and baby stuff if happens) All together, the decors will cost around $120. Hope its worth it.

Also, for the baby swordtail scenario, I could stick some java moss to a top corner of the tank where the loaches wont be. Just throwing out stuff. I dont know if fish eat java moss.

Right now, I just need to know if a festivum or chanchito would be more suitable. Thank you to everyone who has helped and criticized me. I really needed it.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For plecos, what about vampire plecos? Dont know much about them but they are pretty. I think they cost somewhere from $40 to $60. I'll have a regular pleco in the tank until I find the type of pleco I like.

0 Not allowed!
    I have had no experience with vampire plecs and never heard of chanchitos, sorry. I will say you should get more than 2 cichlids, whatever you get, unless you can buy a mated pair. Two is a bad number for cichlids.

I wouldn't recommend rainbows as well, I think you already have as many species as that tank can handle. And as jasee said, golden wonder killies often do best on their own. I don't think 4 is a good idea.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to get a male and a female cichlid.

How many species of tiger barbs are there? I know there is 5, the regular, the albino, green, platinum, and glo, but what else is there? If thats it, I'll only get 15 (3 of each) because of the new tiger barb rate. Whenever there is a new kind, I'll just get 3 of that kind since my maximum of tiger barbs is 20.

For species, I have Tiger Barbs, Cichlids, Swordtails, Loaches, and Plecos. If I have too many, could I eliminate the swordtails and go for Madagascan Rainbowfish?(6 or 8) I would think Madagascan Rainbowfish would do good because they max at 3" or 4" and could probably defend theirself.
    "Good tankmates include similarly-sized Australasian rainbowfishes, barbs, characids, peaceful cichlids and catfishes."
    -seriouslyfish
    Seems good, point out if I'm wrong.

I need to know if a pair of flag cichlids or chanchitos will work. It would be cool to see something breed, and also to have cichlids overall.

0 Not allowed!
    I need to know if a pair of flag cichlids or chanchitos will work. It would be cool to see something breed, and also to have cichlids overall.
    Have already answered this question like 4 times. Yes they should work, but there's always a small chance they'll end up beeing too aggressive.

I'm going to get a male and a female cichlid.
    Not a very good idea. The male will harass the female, or she may reject him. He could even kill her. Get 1 male and 2 females, and take back the spare female when a pair forms.

Don't know of any other Tiger Barbs -- and they're not different "species". Different species don't school together. They're just different colour forms of the same species. 15 should be fine.

For species, I have Tiger Barbs, Cichlids, Swordtails, Loaches, and Plecos. If I have too many, could I eliminate the swordtails and go for Madagascan Rainbowfish?(6 or 8) I would think Madagascan Rainbowfish would do good because they max at 3" or 4" and could probably defend theirself.
    "Good tankmates include similarly-sized Australasian rainbowfishes, barbs, characids, peaceful cichlids and catfishes."
    -seriouslyfish
    Seems good, point out if I'm wrong.
    I have already explained this. Please read posts thoroughly.

Rainbowfish should get on fine with barbs -- however IMO a 55g is not enough room for another group of large schooling fish. If you get rid of the swordtails you could probably cram 6 in. I wouldn't do it though. Again, you seem intent on putting your own wishes before the fish's needs. I would recommend just sticking to 15 Tiger Barbs, 3 cichlids (until a pair forms, then remove the spare), 6 Zebras and 1 pleco.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Am I the only one catching this thread as a never ending circle of repetition. I've literally read 4 pages of the same questions being answered.

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to get a mated pair of cichlids, the best thing to do is get 6 and let the pair(s) form naturally. You then remove the others.