· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From what I've read it seems like twig catfish have pretty specific needs and might not be a good fish to have in that tank.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think fish know what it means to have a majority. Their behavior is not going to change once they attain 51% of the population. I don't understand why you are afraid to keep them in a larger school.

Pearl gouramis are group oriented fish - I do not suggest getting one.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm... I see. Well, I don't think it should be a problem as long as I provide enough hiding space and keep water conditions right. Even if they are with the zebras, I could feed food that only the twig catfish eat so that it won't be a problem.

Though, I could do 6 dwarf chains and just 2 algea eaters(regar types) instead. That is if zebras will get along with dwarf chains. Im pretty sure there's a place that sells dwarf chains for $8 each.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @jaysee: Could a group of 8 pass? That way, I can have 2 of each color.

0 Not allowed!
    You could keep the original 4 if you wanted to. You can do anything you like, it's your tank. As I've said, I would not get less than 10. I do my best not to compromise my advice. If you think 8 is close enough to 10+, then that's what's important. I don't expect you to do what I say, but I'm not going to haggle on how I think the fish should be kept, which is a function of what I think is best for the fish, best for the other inhabitants, and most enjoyable to watch.

0 Not allowed!
    Although Jaysee has spelled it all out for you meticulously, I'll go through it again seeing as you seem to be confused.

Tiger Barbs are LESS aggressive in a large school as they will spread their aggression with each other, and not the tanks other inhabitants. I would also not keep any less than 10 -- infact I'd go more like 15+.

Twig Catfish are very sensitive fish are quite hard to keep. I don't think they will do well with Loaches or cichlids. No.

Pearl Gourami will be an excellent target to have their fins shredded by the Zebras. Also not compatible with cichlids. No.

Dwarf Gourami are too small to compete with cichlids or boisterous loaches. No.

Dwarf Chains should get on well with the Zebras -- but I would make sure you have at least double the number of chains to zebras as they are smaller. Say, 10 Dwarf Chains to 5 Zebras. Loaches are much less likely to be nippy if kept in big groups, otherwise they get bored and annoy their tank mates. Then you would still have room for 2 Bristlenosed Ancistrus. HOWEVER you will have to change what kind of cichlids you get if you get chains as bigger cichlids will eat them.

Hard to say anything about Killifish when you don't even know what species they are.

A couple of swordtails would work, but not just one. I would suggest 3+, with a 1 male to 2-3 female ratio.

As for a couple of tetras, I would suggest having EITHER the Barbs OR the tetras, not both. If you pick the tetras Columbians, Black Skirts or Congos would be suitable. Giant Danios would also work well.

For the cichlids, I have had no experience with Flag Cichlids. But I would suggest a single Festivum -- not 2 or 3. A single Blue Acara would also work, or Sajica Cichlid, or Keyholes. Unless you are getting the chains, in which case you will have to cancel the cichlids.

I would suggest this stocking:

- 20 Tiger Barbs (a mix of colours) OR large school of tetras
    - 10 Dwarf Chains
    - 5 Zebra Loaches (or just get Zebras and no Chains and get 8)
    - 2 Bristlenosed Ancistrus
    - 3 Swordtails

0 Not allowed!
    I have my pearls with zebra, angelicus and kuhli loaches, as well as severums, chanchitos and bolivian rams....in a 125. I wouldn't be worried in the least about the loaches, but larger cichlids could really go either way in a smaller tank.

0 Not allowed!
    If you can get dwarf chain loaches for $8, that's a fantastic price. They are normally twice that.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @tall: Ill go 8 zebra, but I would like a pair of cichlids to breed like in jaysee's tank. If flag cichlids won't work, the chanchitos seem good. As long as I can fit a good fish variety, 16 tiger barbs is good. I don't know about plecos yet, but I want it to be a pretty/unique kind because twig catfish isn't an option. Maybe vampire plecos.

Currently looking for the killies I saw. List so far:

6-8 zebras(6 if it will leave more room)
    2 ? Plecos
    16 tiger barbs
    3 swordtails
    2 ? Cichlids

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Golden Wonder.