· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have a look at Apistogramma Cacatuoides, they are quite placid and nice looking. I have 2 in my QT together with some Red eye tetra (all for my sons new tank which is in cycle mode) with no issues
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't go with Kribs, mine were really aggressive to all my community fish, especially the females.

A festivum would be great, or a pair of Keyholes. What about a single Sajica Cichlid? Mine are really placid.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    don't ciclids put the eggs in their mouth to protect them?.
    Some are mouth brooders, some dig a pit in the sand, some lay them on a rock while others lay them in a cave. It really depends on the species.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I'd really have to agree with ameliaaahx. Festivum are gorgeous fish and would work perfectly in your tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Festivum may work, I love how they look like a gourami, but with 6 zebra loaches, I'm kinda worried about what could happen if they breed... Do you recommend I just get 2-3 male or female so trouble doesn't start? Its 55g 48 long and from serioislyfish, the dimensions if my tank would be the minimum, it says they need 48" by 13"(may be 15", dont remember), which is exactly what I have.Mouthbrooders would be nice, but I dont know. If the festivum would do good with this list in a 55g, I'm for it.

Here is what I'm shooting for:

4 barbs(1 of every kind, tiger, green, albino, and glo)
    4 killies
    2 dwarf gourami
    2-4 of ? Cichlids
    1-6 of ?(a swordtail or a small school of tetras)

That's 13-20 middle and top dwelling fish in a 55g, I would prefer only 2 cichlids though because all are territorial in some way. I don't want to overstock, but want to fit as much as possible.

I was originally planning on getting an elephant nose, but since they get up to 9" and need a slightly larger tank it is a no ): I am happy that zebra loaches and the other bottom feeders I'm getting do great in this tank size, so that makes up for no elephant nose.

0 Not allowed!
    I would not worry about the loaches or any other fish if the cichlids breed. A 55 is large enough to provide room for the other fish to not bother the cichlids, if they don't want to....

In a 55 you should have way more than 4 tiger barbs. I would not get less than 10.

What kind of killis are you interested in?

These are the chanchitos I mentioned.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Could 6 tiger barbs work, since 6 is a small school. I have read that it is best to make tiger barbs not more than 1/2 of the fish population, and since I am hoping to also have 2 twig catfish(for algea, these are a very inactive species) and 2 hill stream loaches, I want for them to have room as well. I'm not sure about the hill streams because they have quite a lot of requirements. Though, the bottom feeders won't interfere because I'm going to have a huge driftwood, a huge rock with tons of holes, planted, and as many caves as I can fit.

Sadly, for the killies, all I remember is that they were mainly white and had the regular killie shape.

The chanchitos seem good, but I like the flag cichlids most but don't know if 55g is enough. If it isn't, ill consider the chanchitos.

Do you think both of these cichlids could defend the eggs from zebras? I don't want any zebras dying...

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't get the hill stream loachs. They need a vastly different tank set up to mimic the fast following streams with high oxygen levels where they live. Read this article for their care http://www.loaches.com/articles/rive...ank%20manifold it details a good way to set up a river tank for hill streams.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    If you've been reading about keeping tiger barbs, you must have read that it's best to keep them in as large a school as possible. I have to be honest, and I'm not trying to put you down in any way, but I am always amazed when people want to provide the bare minimum for their fish. In one breath they talk about how much they want to provide the best for their fish, and in the very next breath they say they want to keep the fish in as small a tank as possible, or in as small of a school as possible. I just don't get it. Again, I'm not trying to put you down, but if that strikes a nerve with you, you should examine why.

I've kept tiger barbs for many years, and in my experience they do best in a large school. Other people have their own opinions, some based on experience and others based on what they've read. Your tank is plenty big to provide a larger school. I've never heard of this business about half the fish population.

In my experience you do not have to worry about fish being killed by the cichlids in a tank that large.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thx @ limming, ill either do an extra twig catfish, or maybe like a vampire pleco.

@jaysee: I see your point very clear, but I thought that if tigers have majority they are more aggressive.
    Before I talk about other fish, would a pair of flag cichlids be good in a 55g? Also, would a pearl gourami be a good replacement for the barbs since 6 is too small of a school?