· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 5 weeks into cycling am I finally ready to order fish?

0 Not allowed!
    I double tested my AM, NI, and NA and they all came up 0 March 22nd; I added sand and did roughly a 50% water change in my 29g on march 19th. I have until march 25th to order my fish since the LFS suck around here except 1 that orders fish twice a month. Before the 0s I had a nitrite spike (that was really high for awhile) that was about 2ppm 3 days before along with nitrates at about 10ppm.

My main question is did that water change drop all those levels? because I had been doing 50% changes everyday almost because I'm cycling with a koi and didn't want to harm him and the readings were never this low. I also got seed media from my LFS on march 16th so I was thinking that might be part of it. I plan to check them everyday until i can order but I never had readings so low until now.

On another note the fish I plan to order are in order 10 lemon tetras, then maybe 2 weeks 10 sterba cory, then eventually a GBR and dwarf pleco.

0 Not allowed!
    If you are doing a fishless cycle I don't believe you should have 0 nitrates? Do you have live plants in the tank?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm doing a fish cycle with a 7'' koi and I have some plants in there. I know the nitrites are correct but I've had issues with the api nitrate test before, getting 40ppm when it was 10. The last Nitrate reading I got was 10ppm on march 19th before the one I did today.

0 Not allowed!
    You are not planning on leaving the koi in the tank when you add your new fish, are you? You may have the 0 nitrates due to the large water change you did four days ago.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No hes going into another tank until it warms up here then into my aunt's pond. I was just surprised the nitrates were 0 but when I added the sand I had to take out more than 50% probably closer to 80% of the water.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm so excited I got 0,0, and 7 for Ammonia Nitrites and Nitrates! It's finally cycled! PH of 6 which is to be expected with all the driftwood. The next question with feeding my 7'' koi twice daily; I'm sure I could handle 10 lemon tetras but I could go for the 10 sterba corys which are 8 bucks a pop vs 3. I'm thinking I would be using the same or less food for the tetras but more with the sterbas and I don't want to risk losing $8 fish. That sound about right?
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 03-23-2013 at 04:36 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    If you've cycled with fish-in you'll need to add fish very slowly and gradually. The bioload will shoot up and the beneficial bacteria won't cope if you add all that at one time. I'd add 4-5 lemon tetras a week until you have 10-15. Cories...you can add in the same way (but not at the same time as the tetra) - add the cories last as bottom feeders suffer the most if any ammonia spikes occur.

Keep up with your water changes and testing during this time.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can either get 10 lemon tetras for the 1st or 5 now and 5 near about 2+ weeks into April. The amount of food I put in for the koi a day is equal or more than I'd put in for 10 1'' tetras; so wouldn't my bioload be the same? Also wouldn't the tetras be stressed in such a small group? and I have to take into account some may come to the LFS dead or sickly as well.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 03-23-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a workable plan (for 10) and your logic is excellent. Remember, the filter will need the Koi until the new fish are added. Don't let the filter starve - if you get the fish in within 24 hours of removing the Koi, you should be fine.
    Last edited by Cermet; 03-23-2013 at 05:30 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah after thinking and reading yours I'll have 10 lemon tetras for the 26th! I was wrong they order every week so once they get settled and everything is well test wise I can get the corys.

Now with Sterbas I plan to get 10 I know they should be kept at least 7 in a group so would it be a bad call doing 5 then 5 with them? they are going to run me 8 bucks a piece also so I really don't want any deaths or sickness because I'd have to do a ghetto hospital tank with a Rubbermaid container and filter. I'm lucky to even have a 29g with my landlord he had someone with a 75g break and leak down into the apartment below.

One last thing I've always tested PH but never anything else (I had a jack dempsey live for over 10 years he was my favorite fish of all time) and have always kept large aggressive cichlids in 75gs etc. I have no issue doing water changes so what is the highest I should let the nitrates go with my tetras before changing it?
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 03-23-2013 at 05:39 PM.