· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I think you should stick with is found in nature like loaches for the bottom vs cories. You would want to have fish at the different levels and still have some type of "clean up" crew so for that you get an algae eater. If you get a smaller rasbora, be sure to get school and that they aren't small enough to fit in the roseline shark's mouth. I've seen them at Petsmart for $9 for smaller ones and as much as $20 in the expensive stores (although they are def bigger). You could also get a gourami or another type of barb like tiger or cherry vs rasboras...

Most important...Add SLOWLY!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish from Filly View Post
    Personally, I think you should stick with is found in nature like loaches for the bottom vs cories. You would want to have fish at the different levels and still havte some type of "clean up" crew so for that you get an algae eater.
    I think loaches are cool looking, but I have never liked the idea of something that burrows way down in the sand where I can't find it. I have always wanted cories so I will probably stay on that route.

I also don't feel the need to get a "cleanup crew" that's what I'm there for. I would prefer to address any possible algae issues by eliminating the cause of them, not getting a fish to cleanup the problem. That being said, albino bristlenose plecos are so popular here that it has me curious. I just don't know if I'll end up with room for their bio load at the end of my stocking list.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish from Filly View Post
    Personally, I think you should stick with is found in nature like loaches for the bottom vs cories. You would want to have fish at the different levels and still have some type of "clean up" crew!
    No you don't. You'd keep fish for what they are, not because you're unwilling to keep your tank clean

0 Not allowed!
    Most loaches don't burrow in the sand. And, aside from a few select species, they only do it for protection.

Petsmart roselines are farm raised - they are relatively new to the market. The expensive ones are wild caught, though now you may have some sellers trying to call the premium price for farmed fish. My experience with them is that they do not bother other species, but can pick on their own kind - same as most other barbs. I have mine in a 125 - I don't think I would try keeping them in a 4 foot tank.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    Jaysee that's great information. Just what I'm looking for.

The profile on Seriouslyfish lists a 4 foot tank as the required size. I'm sure that's an absolute minimum and bigger is better, but the 90 was the top for my available spaces and budget. Do you think a school of six to eight will still be okay?

I have a couple additional questions. Are there pros and cons to wild vs farmed fish? I read somewhere that wild caught fish are more sensitive to water parameters. I have a pH of 8 in my water and these fish are listed in the range of 6.5 - 7.5. Am I better to go with farmed fish to reduce the chance that the fish won't acclimate easily to the 8.0? Or is that just a misconception.
    Last edited by CrunchyLeaf; 04-04-2013 at 06:15 AM.
    ~Manna

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl 
    New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I would go with a school of eight. As long as you slow acclimate you should be fine with your pH.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl 
    New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Just to share a cool video with you:

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Jaysee that's great information. Just what I'm looking for.

The profile on Seriouslyfish lists a 4 foot tank as the required size. I'm sure that's an absolute minimum and bigger is better, but the 90 was the top for my available spaces and budget. Do you think a school of six to eight will still be okay?

FWIW, I don't think it's a great idea. 4ft is absolute minimum. This is a very active species that loves to ride a strong flow and doesn't like very high temperatures. For tank mates you'd better look to barbs and not cichlids.

0 Not allowed!
    Lab_rat got the Rosalines too and she said they same thing as Jaysee.......that they should be in a longer tank due to how active and fast they are. They need the swimming length, not the height.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh dear....

I've got some real thinking to do. I can't imagine not getting the rose lines. I've wanted them for so long. Thanks for all the great input.
    ~Manna