· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Planning stock for the 90

0 Not allowed!
    As slow as the going is, I'm still chugging along towards having this 90 gallon set up ASAP. I'm getting closer so I'm starting to give a lot more though to the stocking. The only thing I've known from the beginning is that I want a school of Roselines as the centerpiece of the tank. I also want a single GBR and a school of some type of Cory.
    So here are my questions. I also think I should have one or two smaller types of fish in nice sized schools like Harlequins or Neons, but I just can't decide what would look good with my intended stocking. Any suggestions?
    I really like the idea of doing a really big school of celestial pearl danios because I think their colors and markings would compliment the Roselines nicely. I do plan on having a good current going in the middle of the tank for the roselines. Would CPDs be okay with the current? Or are they so small that they would get blasted around and be uncomfortable?

What suggestions do you guys have for what would look nice in my tank?

Also, would a school of 8 roselines be too crammed in the 90 once they reach adult size (standard measurements for a 90)?
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    8 in a 90 will do fine. For any other species you could also put some Buenos Aires Tetra's. From what I can tell from them being in my tank they are unkillable. Have you also considered glass barbs?

0 Not allowed!
    not experienced with roseline barbs but won't such a large, active fish would severely intimidate shy small species such as neons or harlequins? I don't know what
    the feeding habits of roselines are but I could envision a 6 inch barb easily swallowing a 3/4 inch celestial pearl danio too.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    not experienced with roseline barbs but won't such a large, active fish would severely intimidate shy small species such as neons or harlequins? I don't know what
    the feeding habits of roselines are but I could envision a 6 inch barb easily swallowing a 3/4 inch celestial pearl danio too.
    That's a very good point. From what I have read they are very peaceful community fish when kept in a proper school and I have seen videos of them sharing tanks with neons, but stocking this tank is really where my inexperience is letting me down. I am going to have to rely heavily on the advice and experience of our members here to get a good community stocked here.
    ~Manna

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvette73 View Post
    Have you also considered glass barbs?
    Those glass barbs are really cool. I haven't seen them before.
    ~Manna

0 Not allowed!
    How about Congo tetras, Roseline barbs and Rummy nose tetras with a school of Skunk Cories?

You would have all levels covered.

Just one mans suggestion.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    How about Congo tetras, Roseline barbs and Rummy nose tetras with a school of Skunk Cories?

You would have all levels covered.

Just one mans suggestion.
    K love the idea of the rummynose. I have not seen them in person before, but pictures on Google look cool.
    I like congo tetras and skunk cores both, but I worry about their adult size. I've seen Cliff's magestic congos in his 90 journal and they look huge.

I am leaning towards a smaller Cory like a panda. Then I could have a larger school of them.
    ~Manna

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would second the idea for panda corydoras. The have great coloring and stay smaller. Also for other fish I would suggest ember tetras, espei rasboras, australe killifish, black neons, dwarf rainbows, or gold tetras. Keep in mind if you go with larger fish some of those won't be possible. Have you considered a starlight bristlenose pleco? In my opinion I would either go bigger fish or smaller fish I wouldn't do both. I just think it looks better that way. And that way you do not have to be worrying about size differences.
    Last edited by es31710; 04-02-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvette73 View Post
    8 in a 90 will do fine. For any other species you could also put some Buenos Aires Tetra's. From what I can tell from them being in my tank they are unkillable. Have you also considered glass barbs?
    If the first thing you praise is that they are unkillable... It's a very rowdy species that doesn't combine well with quite a few other species

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I really think that you will be fine with the roselines and some of the smaller species. Personally though I would balance then with something like Iranian Red Rainbows or Boes Rainbows.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's