· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thnx for rply, but can u tel me til wat size they will grow? if i change 100% water change daily.

no i m not using RO !!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thnx for rply,
    but can u tel me til wat size they will grow? if i change 100% water change daily.
    or two times a day like morning and evening

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i m asking about their size coz after that i will do some arrangement to move them to bigger one, these all fish were of my frnd bt he shifted in gulf so he given me his all setup, now i m studying n yet i dnt hav enough money and family issue too. i m saving my pocket money to buy big one, dats y m asking by ur experience tell me avg. size till they grow.
    pls suggest

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i m asking about their size coz after that i will do some arrangement to move them to bigger one, these all fish were of my frnd bt he shifted in gulf so he given me his all setup, now i m studying n yet i dnt hav enough money and family issue too. i m saving my pocket money to buy big one, dats y m asking by ur experience tell me avg. size till they grow.
    pls suggest me.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i m asking about their size coz after that i will do some arrangement to move them to bigger one, these all fish were of my frnd bt he shifted in gulf so he given me his all setup in last moment, now i m studying n yet i dnt hav enough money and family issue too. i m saving my pocket money to buy big one, dats y m asking by ur experience tell me avg. size till they grow.
    ther is lot of info on net abt discus bt i want real tym answr abt my curnt setup

0 Not allowed!
    Don't buy fish without basic research at least. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...equifasciatus/

Discus grow to about 6 inch long and 6 tall

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Don't buy fish without basic research at least. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...equifasciatus/

Discus grow to about 6 inch long and 6 tall
    If I could understand what the OP wrote (giving me a bit of a headache trying to figure it out), it sounds like the fish were given to him/her, setup and all. He/she's now on here trying to figure out what to do to properly take care of them.

8. Default discus size growth

0 Not allowed!
    While the water changes are vital for growth it depends on the diet also. Most people's discus max out around 6 inches, if you're doing twice daily 100% water changes AND have a proper varied diet. Beef heart is one of the suggested foods and is definitely a great start but introduce other foods also. It is possible for them to reach 8+ inches over around 12-18 months.

Now given your situation with so many discus you have to take of I highly recommend you sell some of them and use that money to purchase the larger tank.

I can't tell you at what rate they would grow in that cramped situation but I can tell you that it would be less than if they were properly housed.

For example:

Proper housing, water changes, feeding = upwards of 3/4" growth a month (gets slower as they get bigger)

Your situation = maybe as low as 1/4"

With so many discus in such a small tank you run the risk of stunting their growth and in my opinion that is what you should be worried about right now. So yeah sell some.
    Last edited by mojosodope; 03-26-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with MOjo on everything he said. I just wanted to throw out there that its been documented for regular growth in discus the food and water have everything to do with the outcome. I have seen someone grow a clutch of discus from fry to 3in in 20gal or less of water. He was doing 3x daily 100% w/c I believe.. so its not ideal but it is doable with vigilance. End result should be a much larger tank though.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    If I could understand what the OP wrote (giving me a bit of a headache trying to figure it out), it sounds like the fish were given to him/her, setup and all. He/she's now on here trying to figure out what to do to properly take care of them.

You may be right. It's not the way I read it.

The end result is still way too many discus in a small tank that have no real chance of growing out to happy healthy fish.