· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default discus size growth

0 Not allowed!
    i m having 15 discus current average size is 2″ and my current fish tank size is 24*18*15″ as per US gallon=28, 50% water changes daily, temp maintaining, mix beef heart feeding. so jst i want to know how much they will grow in said tank? bcoz i m not plan to buy new bigger tank for next two months so pls help me to checkout their size in the current tank. thnx

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They will continue to grow but probably at a slower rate. 15 adult discus would need around a 180 gallon + tank but even if you're not keeping all you should definitely increase your water changes to 100% daily or even more so. You don't want to risk your fish getting stunted, there isn't any coming back from that. If I was in that situation I would be doing at least a 150% daily.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How can someone afford that many discus but not a proper sized tank for them? Maybe they're just more expensive where I am compared to the OP (no clue because location is not listed). Or does it just really depend on the size when purchased? It just seems crazy to me to have that many discus in such a tiny tank. Even if one does not care about the health of the fish (not accusing you of it, just a hypothetical example), I'd expect one to want to protect their investment.

Are you using RO water for your water changes?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2inch and smaller discus are relatively 'cheap so a lot of people see them as an opportunity to get into discus but a lot of work is needed'. RO water is not needed especially when it comes to growing out discus. They grow faster in water with higher tds.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

0 Not allowed!
    Judging from the name OP is Indian. They approach things differently and seem to prefer very densly stocked tanks.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I read in an article that a discus keeper kept grew his fish in a small tank but did frequent water changes throughout the day, after every feeding. The fish grew very well but who has the time to change the tank water 100% 5x a day?

0 Not allowed!
    You could automate that I suppose.

15 discuss...I'd be looking at a 5ft tank if I wanted that. Minimum!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Thumbs down

0 Not allowed!
    Unless there is no room, keeping such a small tank creates vastly more more work considering the number of near 100% water changes that would be required to even try and get these discus to a non-deformed shape; I can only assume they are not aware of this if they don't want small, deformed fish. The 50% daily W/C is not gonna cut it at all as the fish grow. Might not be doing well even now. Can't see how any filter on such a small tank will keep up neither with just one W/C a day. Wonder if they even measure the water parameters?

Of course, this could be a troll just trying to get attention; that is, unless this is just a first time person with zero knowledge of fish keeping.
    Last edited by Cermet; 03-23-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    At the 2in stage, a 55gal bare bottom is the general recommended tank. I hope you are indeed planning to get into a 180 tank or so for these fish. The 100% on grown better with high tds but I would be doing the same as recommended, 100% w/c in the morning, 50% that night. That is a lot of work... I do 90% daily for my mated pair of discus. As far as growth, you are going to see an easy inch on those fish if they grow at the normal rate.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thnx for rply, but can u tel me til wat size they will grow? if i change 100% water change daily.