· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Water quality problems

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, having a hard time getting my water params to an acceptable level. I have a 29 Gal.

The water coming out of my tap when tested for ammonia reads .25-.50 ammonia (much closer to .25).

My Nitrites in my tank are 0 and my nitrates are ~5.0.

I added Aqueon water conditioner as per the instructions and then added the water to my tank in a 25% water change. I re-checked my ammonia levels in the tank and they hadn't gone down, still between .25-.50 (much closer to .25). I then did about a 50-60% large water change added the conditioner and then checked my ammonia levels in my tank. Still between .25-.50 (much closer to .25).

I am getting frustrated because I replaced close to 75% of the water in the tank yesterday without any sign of being beneficial to my fish.

Any help or assistance is appreciated. Thank you,

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    How soon after you added the new water did you test? It can take a couple hours for the bacteria to fully convert the ammonia.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If your tap water has ammonia in it, doing water changes won't get it down to zero, so I'm confused as to what you're trying to accomplish. All the water conditioner is doing is removing the chlorine. If you want something that will detox the ammonia for up to 48 hours then you should use Prime or Amquel+. There are also products like AmmoLock that you can use in addition to the water conditioner you have. But with ammonia in your tap, the only way for them to go away completely is by having a cycled tank, heavily planted tank, or ammonia-removing filter media.

0 Not allowed!
    If we are talking about Aqueon Water Conditioner found here:

http://www.petco.com/product/102599/...nditioner.aspx

The bottle says it will detox ammonia. In geneneral, the way ammonia detoxifiers work is by changing ammonia into ammonium which is much less toxic to fish and still can be consumed by the biofilter. Some ammonia test kits test for total ammonia including ammonium. So the OP maybe be getting a false positive for live ammonia when in fact the live ammonia has been turned into ammonium.

Ingredients are: Disodium EDTA, sodium thiosulfate, polyvinylpyrrolidone

Sodium thiosulfate is a dechlorinator only, so I agree that Prime would be a better choice of water conditioners if there is ammonia or chloramine in the tap water.

Agree with mommy1 that is does take a while for the biofilter to consume ammonia.
    Last edited by Taurus; 03-22-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    How soon after you added the new water did you test? It can take a couple hours for the bacteria to fully convert the ammonia.
    I tested about ten minutes after and then I about 8 hours after. The ammonia is still .25

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "If your tap water has ammonia in it, doing water changes won't get it down to zero, so I'm confused as to what you're trying to accomplish."

I know that adding water with ammonia will not reduce the ammonia to 0. I am cycling with fish and I know that the biggest and safest remedy is a large water change, when I attempted a large water change it didn't help at all which was concerning. I didn't expect that adding water with ammonia would reduce it to 0...but I was hoping it would help a little bit, for example, if there was less ammonia in the tap water I was adding, it wouldn't be a complete remedy, but it might have been able to help alleviate suffering for them a little until I can figure something more permanent out.

"All the water conditioner is doing is removing the chlorine. If you want something that will detox the ammonia for up to 48 hours then you should use Prime or Amquel+."

As far as the conditioner it said on the bottle that it does remove chlorine, chloramines, ammonia and heavy metals. I ordered Prime last night and it should be here on Monday so I will try with that and hopefully receive a more favorable result.

"There are also products like AmmoLock that you can use in addition to the water conditioner you have."

I have read that products like AmmoLock can interrupt the cycling process and prevent BB from growing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    If we are talking about Aqueon Water Conditioner found here:

http://www.petco.com/product/102599/...nditioner.aspx

The bottle says it will detox ammonia. In geneneral, the way ammonia detoxifiers work is by changing ammonia into ammonium which is much less toxic to fish and still can be consumed by the biofilter. Some ammonia test kits test for total ammonia including ammonium. So the OP maybe be getting a false positive for live ammonia when in fact the live ammonia has been turned into ammonium.

Ingredients are: Disodium EDTA, sodium thiosulfate, polyvinylpyrrolidone

Sodium thiosulfate is a dechlorinator only, so I agree that Prime would be a better choice of water conditioners if there is ammonia or chloramine in the tap water.

Agree with mommy1 that is does take a while for the biofilter to consume ammonia.

I recently purchased Prime and am waiting for it to ship, I have an API master test kit, but I am not sure if it tests for ammonia only, or ammonia and ammonium, I will check the instructions to see what it tests for in totality to help better diagnose the problem. Thanks for the advice.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickyvolnao View Post
    The water coming out of my tap when tested for ammonia reads .25-.50 ammonia (much closer to .25).

I then did about a 50-60% large water change added the conditioner and then checked my ammonia levels in my tank. Still between .25-.50 (much closer to .25)
    All I'm saying is that the amount of ammonia in the tank is the same as the ammonia level in the tap, so it doesn't matter how many times you do a water change because the level won't get any lower than what's coming out of the tap. A water change would only be beneficial if the ammonia level in the tank is HIGHER than in the tap (not less than or equal to). If the ammonia isn't going down after 8 hours then your tank likely isn't cycled yet. How long has the tank been set up for?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @Funk. Yeah, your right.

The tank isn't cycled yet. It's only been set up for about a week. I used Tetra SafeStart to try to make the water less toxic for my fish, I am trying to cycle with fish instead of without. I discovered two days ago that my filter was turning off at night with my timer, which means it was only running for about 8 hours a day. It is fixed now. The Filter is very quiet and I had the lights set to turn off around 1:30 AM, which means usually by the time it is off I am in my bedroom, so I didn't notice the filter wasn't running.

I am pretty sure this means that it hasn't even begun to cycle because if the filter is off for that long, I'd imagine all of the BB are going to die. That also means that the SafeStart is probably no longer active as I would guess that all of the bacteria has died.

I have a friend in the area who keeps a few freshwater and saltwater tanks successfully. When I told him about my problem he recommended taking some of his filter media to seed my new filter, he also recommended taking some of his tank water as it contains no ammonia and nitrite. I agree with taking the filter media to help establish a new colony of BB but I am not so sure about the tank water. It seems like there would be risks involved with using someone else's water.

0 Not allowed!
    The risks involved with using someone else's water would be the same risk involved in using their filter media. If you trust your friend and the health of his tanks taking his media to seed yours would be a good way to jumpstart your cycle. Cycling with fish is going to be a long process compared to cycling without especially since you have ammonia in your water. That jumpstart would be nice and the sooner you cycle, the less toxicity you subject the fish to.
    That being said, I don't know about using tankwater from your friend's house. Does his tap water also have ammonia? If it doesn't then just use his tap water. If it does have ammonia then he would have to do a water change, wait 24 - 48 hours for his BB to convert it all to nitrate and then give you the water. The problem with that is that your water then has nitrate in it, which is not as toxic, but is still a byproduct of a cycle that needs to be removed via additional water changes. That whole process doesn't entirely make sense, so I don't know that taking his tank water is a viable option.
    Last edited by CrunchyLeaf; 03-22-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Typo
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress