· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Purchasing my first aquarium (75 gallon)

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I'm purchasing my first aquarium soon and I wanted some tips and advice on all there is about owning fishes in a 75 gallon aquarium. What accessories are mandatory and optional? I was thinking of going to Petco or a local fish store around my area. What kinds of fishes do you recommend and which can I mix together in a 75 gallon? Thanks in advance for all the help guys!
    Last edited by _The_Real_Deal_; 03-22-2013 at 04:35 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    So, basically what you're asking is "please do me a quicky course in fishkeeping"

I'm afraid it's not that simple. There's an ebook here for beginners. There's stickies. Start by reading about the nitrogen cycle and how to do a fishless cycle.

Mandatory:
    - heater
    - filter
    - water testing kit
    - ammonia

Pretty darn useful:
    - net
    - planting tweezers
    - clean scrubbing sponge
    - small stainless scissors
    - piece of 1/2 hose or a gravel vac
    - dedicated plastic bucket

As to heating, 300 watts. Filtration, depends on what you are going to get. Most likely you'll end up with a hang on back in which case you want filtration rated for 150 gallons.

Fish... would be nice if we knew your water hardness. Few pointes: most species are schooling, means they need to be groups of at least 6. A lot of stores have no clue about maximum sizes, wwww.seriouslyfish.com does. "I'll just return it when it gets too big" is something you hear a lot. In my opinion that's wrong, you keep promoting the import of overly large species that way.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Northernguy A recruit for your piggy army - MuckyFish Piggy Sentry for your Piggy Army hopefully they help you not lose brakes. - MuckyFish beer for the birthday boy - Lady Hobbs For itís medicinal properties, cheers and get well soon - Cliff 
    thank you - Indian Woods Angels Hammy Holidays to you! - Trillianne Have a great christmas gadget - Cliff Have a Christmas coral - Aeonflame Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    For the birthday thread. Thanks. - Strider199 Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year! - Rue Here comes the holiday swine, who hopes your holidays were divine! - Trillianne 
    Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thank you! Second round is on me : ) - mommy1 Thanks for spicing up the ban game! - pRED 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - gadget228 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - gadget228 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC...
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    there is two main types of tanks marine and freshwater each has their own needs the basics are mostly the same.
    It would depend on what type of setup you want,if you want tropical mandatory equipment is one heater around 250 to three hundred watts, i would go for 2 75 gallon filters a good water testing kit preferably liquid, a bucket for water changes and a very good water conditioner like prime. gravel or sand for the bottom of the tank. If you want live plants, a planting tool, lights for plants and fertilizer and co2. I would say is that you decide what type of tank you want then when you get the tank setup and do a fishless cycle while you are researching your fish, i would suggest some easy fish like mollies,guppies neons at a later stage when the tank matures a bit, while you gain experiance, there are a good few species that do require alot of maintenace and care. if you are not sure about something always ask first all of us at one point all begginers. welcome to ac and congratulations of the 75 gallon its a good start and gives you more options at the end of the day for fish that you can keep.
    A quarintine tank is benificial a lot of the more experienced fish keepers often have small tanks like a 5 or 10 gallon as a precaution when adding new fish to our tanks, the same type of equipment is needed, i would also add some meds like anti ick, have some salt on hand as well, and something else like methyline blue, to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by coarb34; 03-22-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    we are all on a journey.
    Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.

0 Not allowed!
    One thing I forgot an in tank thermometer

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Kudos to you for researching before you buy fish.
    As talldutchie stated, start here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

In regards to what kind of fish I recommend, the possibilities are too many to name, a 75 gallon is a nice size to start with and without knowing your preferences, near impossible to recommend. You might want 1 oscar, or a couple jack dempsey, or several african cichlids, or a community of tetra. Knowing the GH, KH, and pH of your water will also help with suggestions, you should be able to find tests for those near the API freshwater master kit at your lfs.
    With a few exceptions, I don't generally subscribe to the "beginner fish" theory, but I do strictly subscribe to the "research the hell out of all fish you might be interested before you buy them" theory. I suggest you go to your lfs and look at what is available in your area and what fish interest you, DO NOT buy any yet, but write down their names and research their environmental requirements, adult size, and their territorial and social needs. Environmental needs will give you a basic idea of how you will need to set up your tank. For instance do the fish need sand or gravel, plants or rocks and caves, and what temperature they need the water. Adult size, and territorial/social needs will give you an understanding of how many fish you can get. Once you get a list of fish that you like, post the list here, many people here will be happy to help you "fine tune" the final stock options.
    For filtration on that size tank I suggest a couple canister filters rated for at least 75gallons each; Fluval, Eheim, and Rena are all good brands.
    The possibilities for you new tank is dependent on how much research and learning you are willing to do. A basic understanding of this hobby is all you really need to enjoy this hobby and maintain a healthy tank with thriving fish, but a better understanding will open up more possibilities for you, it's up to you. Do some research and ask a lot of questions and I am looking forward to seeing your tank develop.
    Last edited by mommy1; 03-22-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Thorough research is what makes the difference between a good start in the hobby and yet another "help my fish are dying" thread. Even then you'll make some mistakes but not as many and probably no fatal ones.

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC!

You have taken the correct first step by joining this forum. Then research, research, research. I just started my first tank, a 75 gal FW in December. Read the ebook here (lots of info) and check out the books at your local library. Mine had great books about the different fish species and gave me a starting point. Then I joined this forum. As it's your first aquarium (like me) ask questions before making decisions or purchases. A 75 gal is a great tank to start with, as it gives you lots of choices.

My aquarium journal is at http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=109063 if you want to see my setup.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 03-22-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you guys for the warm welcome and advice so far! I really appreciate it!