· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They have different sized bottles so you can get the one for your size tank. I believe they have one for up to 30g and a larger bottle for up to 75g. So for a 10g tank you would just need one of the smaller bottles and for a 200g tank you would need three of the larger bottles.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    No wonder I prefer Seachem's. LOL
    Whatever works I wish someone would do some valid controlled testing on all of these bacterial boosters to see which ones are best and which ones are garbage. But my understanding of Stability is that it doesn't contain the right type of bacteria (as in bacteria that can colonize in an aquarium environment) which is why it needs to be added everyday at first and then each month. The bacteria that it does contain though is great at ammonia and nitrite consumption (while they're alive). I don't think this product works by actually cycling the tank; rather it masks the cycle while the normal aquarium bacteria take time to grow like they normally would. Even if that's the case, I don't see anything wrong since it keeps the water healthy for the fish (which is all we really want, right?). But I fear I've steered us a bit off topic here and I apologize to the OP.

Betta113, I would suggest testing your tap water being sure to vigorously shake the second nitrate bottle to see if that's where the nitrate is coming from.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I cycled my 75 gal with SafeStart. It's a great product if you follow the directions to the letter. If not, you will have difficulty cycling. You needed to add the whole bottle, only once. It is normal to not see nitrites with this product - my nitrites were 0 thru the whole cycle. Your readings can go from ammonia to nitrates, without a nitrite reading. Only do a water change if the ammonia level gets too high, otherwise do not do anything for 2 weeks. Just like regular cycling, once you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and show nitrates you are cycled. You must show 0 ammonia.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 03-22-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok All~

I shook the SafeStart like there was no tomorrow. The tap water nitrAte is Oppm and ammonia is maybe just slightly over Oppm, nowhere near.25. Both types of fish are actually subtropicals, so 64-75 is fine for them. I know cycling would go faster if I raised the temp, but I don't want to stress them out. Still watching all parameters and they are WNL (within normal limits) and fish are acting normally and eating well (not excessively). Anything else I might be missing? Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Betta113; 03-23-2013 at 11:46 PM.