· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Would a "Prefilter" Solve my AquaClear 110's "Bubble Sucking" Issue?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so torrents of bubbles from one of my 18" bars at the back of the tank continue to cascade into, and be sucked up by, my AquaClear 110's intake pipe/strainer (and I realize this should eventually do some kind of naughty stuff to its impeller), and thus I am getting that continuous, droning, annoying "box full of rocks" noise from the 110 as it cuts the bubbles into microbubbles and unhouses/unseats the impeller...it is beyond annoying even sitting feet from the tank looking at it in our recliners, but due to the layout of the tank and what I was trying to accomplish with the "bubble curtain" in the back, these bars just can't work anywhere else but along the back glass, unfortunately putting one of them directly under the 110's intake strainer...

Here's my question -- would some kind of "prefilter" that I keep hearing about, which primarily keeps small fish from being sucked against the strainer, work to relieve this bubble chopping issue? If I were to add some kind of prefilter onto the AquaClear's intake strainer, would this eliminate some of the bubbles getting sucked up into it? If not, is there something else I can try such as putting a mound of substrate on that one spot of the bubble bar to block the bubbles from being sucked up?

If the prefilter could work, where would I find one and how do these install exactly? I have no experience with them...

Thank you, everyone, in advance...

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe you could take one of the aqua clear filter sponges and cut it down a little bit, then put it over the intake so that the air bubbles can't be sucked up whole by the AC110.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fretless Aardvark View Post
    Applying just a bit of common sense with the placement of your bubble bars/filter intakes can be very very effective in managing to sort that issue out without requiring waiting for 14 replies [It's hard to imagine that you really need to ask that].. In other words try it and see.

////////////
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Maybe you could take one of the aqua clear filter sponges and cut it down a little bit, then put it over the intake so that the air bubbles can't be sucked up whole by the AC110.
    I had read that perhaps removing the bubble bar and adding some kind of tape to the area that sits beneath the filter intake to "block" the bubbles coming from that area could work...

Any thoughts? Would "tape" leech some kind of unwanted toxins into the water?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldnt want to put tape in a tank.

For your prefilter what I like is to use the aquaclear 30 size foam and then take a steak knife and cut it twice down the middle in the shape of an x, not going all the way through. Then you can just wiggle it on over the bottom of your filter. They are super cheap (can get a 3 pack for less than $5) just about anywhere, and then you have backups for if you mess up cutting one or when they get really gross or fall apart. I would say it is worth a shot to clear up your bubble problem because it might be a cheap and easy fix then. It will just add to your maintance a little because you have to clean the yuck off them too.

Good luck

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady10Godiva View Post
    For your prefilter what I like is to use the aquaclear 30 size foam and then take a steak knife and cut it twice down the middle in the shape of an x, not going all the way through. Then you can just wiggle it on over the bottom of your filter.
    That's what I've done in the past, works great.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 5 Blackskirt Tetras, 8 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    Move the bubbles so they don't get sucked up by the filter. This applies to all filters, not just the AC.

I keep my bubblers in the center or front of the tank just for that reason. (And cover them with substrate.)

0 Not allowed!
    Doesn't putting a "pre-filter" on this simply make it a sponge-filter with a powerhead? Will the filter material in the AC still be getting enough "food" for the biological media to remain active or will it all be concentrated into the pre-filter?
    29: Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, CAE
    20L: Guppies, Platies, Neons, Peppered Corys
    10: Harlequin Raspboras, Otos, Amano Shrimp
    2.5:<empty>

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes this simpliest solutions are the best. I would move the bubbler
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The pre-filter would be to small to convert all, the bio-media in the filter compartment will get plenty to survive.