· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter startup?

1. Default Filter startup?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I just ordered an Aquarius tank that came with a filter. In the instructions it just said to take it out of the box, attach the clip and put it on the aquarium so I did. After plugging it in and waiting 30 minutes, nothing happened - didn't start up or anything. The filter is called Mini-Might. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know about your filter but if its a hang on back filter pour water into it to start priming it. Other then I'd turn it off as running a filter dry is very hard on it and look online for a FAQ or other information from the manufacture.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, it's one of those. How much do I need to pour over it?

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Fill it to the top. If that doesn't work, check to see if the impeller is properly seated.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How do I do that? lol, sorry.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have the same one. There is a line on the filter for the optimal water level...make sure the water is at that level before you plug in the filter. The first time I didn't have the problem you described, but after a water change same problem. First, unplug the filter when you do a water change. After the level is back (new water added after the change), start pouring some of the tank water directly into the top of the filter, after the second pouring, plug in the filter while pouring water over the filter and it should restart.
    As far as the impeller...you will have to take the filter apart. Make sure you pay close attention to how the filter goes back together (especially how the power cord is routed through the plastic guide (only fits one way and how it snaps in is a little weird). Also, make sure to note which way the filter cartridge is facing. The impeller is all the way at the bottom and it is the only part that turns-make sure it can spin freely.
    Try the priming (pouring water into the filter) first, that should work.

Fee free to ask me if you have any more questions and good luck! What will you be putting in the tank?
    Last edited by Betta113; 03-21-2013 at 10:59 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, its an internal/not submersible filter, not a hang on the back (HOB) filter.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does splashing it with a new plastic spoon (water washed and all) count? Not sure what I can usen that's clean.

I'll be putting a few zebra danios and tetras in it!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You need to saturate the cartridge, so you need a better flow/bigger volume of water. Make sure you use conditioned/treated water to remove chlorine/chlorimides because the beneficial bacteria will live in this filter and chlorine will kill this bacteria. If you have the five gallon, that's too small for these fish. Please read about any fish you might want to stock the tank with first. The zebra danios need a 10 gallon minimum tank, probably even more as they are very active and like to be in a school of five minimally. Also, they are cold water fish and some tetras need warmer temps. You could try one male betta and maybe a shrimp or snail. Frank's aquarium has a microfish section that lists very small fish that might work.
    I started out the same way with te five gallon, now I have one betta in one5 gallon, 2 white clouds in another and am starting on the 12 gallon for more variety...it really is addictive! Did you read about cycling your tank? There are some articles here about cycling. I didn't know about any of this when I started, so I had to do a lot of catching up, but the betta hung in with me through it all : )
    Last edited by Betta113; 03-21-2013 at 11:45 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, I'll consider another fish then - what kind would you recommend? I need to save up my money so I can't really buy a 10 or 20 gallon tank, much as I'd love to.

Also, they wouldn't include this filter with a 5 gallon tank if it needed more water.