· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED choices

1. Default LED choices

0 Not allowed!
    Ill start out by saying that Im new here and probably going to get yelled at for not searching properly. I have been looking around for a similar answer to my question, but I didnt find a suitable one, so here I am.

Anyway, I just got a Marineland 46 Euro tank and the cheap Marineland single bright LED strip is awful. I thought about going up to the double bright, but they got such horrible reviews everywhere I looked. I began checking out other options and I only became more confused. The tank measures 36" and I Would prefer something that will stand off the edges of the tank. I dont want anything I have to hang. I will be using it for my African Cichlids with no plants, so no need to go full spectrum or anything crazy.

Any suggestions?

Also, I would like the built in option of the moon beam effect for night if available. If not, I wouldnt mind adding another strip to achieve this effect.
    Last edited by demasoni; 03-21-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Beamswork 48 inch single bright on my 75 gal. Got it from aquatraders.com - this is the 36 inch model http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Fresh...ht-p/56204.htm. I believe it is a single bright and it has the moonlights. My single bright is pretty bright (the tank pic in my sig has been toned down for brightness). I have had it since January and am very pleased with this LED unit so far.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Beamsworks seems to be the same company that produces the marineland fixtures. they are too close in specs/design to not be.
    If you are wanting the LED to just light up the tank, then gronlaura has the perfect fixture for your.

Otherwise, another great fixture for the price (that can grow plants if you would chose) and at a great price is the "Finnex FugeRay" I have this fixture on my 40b (36in long) and the spread/brightness went beyond my expectations. It ships at 110bucks, but very well made and it also has the moonlighting that you desire. (albeit it is on a separate switch).

you're not gonna get yelled at for not searching for this topic. lol. LED's are new and still developing in the aquatic world.
    It is a good post!

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    They are new - I needed a cool running fixture as my tank canopy is less than 5 inches high and a T5 or T8 fixture would be too hot. I have artificial plants, so I didn't have to worry about all the technical aspects for a planted tank.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you looked into the Marineland Hidden LED? I have see it in two sizes: 17" and 21". It can be submerged or hang in the inside rim of the tank and has both blue and white LEDs:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=24833

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    R420R 8K 3 panel LED measures 36 inches across and sits 6 inches off the tanks surface. It has multiple timer setting from preset to custom. Runs really cool with two fans that are super quiet. The moonlight, morning, afternoon, and evening effects are awesome as it has 4 different colour LED's in each panel. Yes it's a bit pricey but with Cree LED's you get the performance. Hey one day you may want real plants. Thats what happened to me anyway. Mine is a 16k version which sits over my reef tank.

Hey you asked. hehehe
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think with what has been said, I like the Razor the most. However, the cost is pretty crazy. I think the logical choice would be the Finnex Ray II. Im still open to other suggestions, but not interested in the Marineland options.

Thanks!!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    Beamsworks seems to be the same company that produces the marineland fixtures. they are too close in specs/design to not be.
    If you are wanting the LED to just light up the tank, then gronlaura has the perfect fixture for your.

Otherwise, another great fixture for the price (that can grow plants if you would chose) and at a great price is the "Finnex FugeRay" I have this fixture on my 40b (36in long) and the spread/brightness went beyond my expectations. It ships at 110bucks, but very well made and it also has the moonlighting that you desire. (albeit it is on a separate switch).

you're not gonna get yelled at for not searching for this topic. lol. LED's are new and still developing in the aquatic world.
    It is a good post!
    Where did you find it for $110?

EDIT: Found it on the AquaVibrant site
    Last edited by demasoni; 03-22-2013 at 06:13 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    make sure you get the fuge ray, not the rayII. the ray II will give you algae like you wouldnt believe

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    make sure you get the fuge ray, not the rayII. the ray II will give you algae like you wouldnt believe
    That's because it's a 10,000k Actinic designed for reef\marine tanks.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"