· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Arowana tank query

0 Not allowed!
    My Aro is in a 63 Gallon tank and I was asked by the LFS from whom I got the tank, to do a 30% water change per month.
    He is alone and I assume around 12-14 inches, although I haven't really measured him accurately.

He is on a diet of feeder fish and after a 8 month long hesitation, he is finally eating Hikari food sticks as well.
    I have two questions.
    1. Will food sticks alone make a sufficient diet or does he also need a carnivorous diet every day.
    2. I have been asked to add Paracidol every time I do a water change, i.e. once per month, is it necessary and/or will it harm the fish.

I can't get a chemical name for it, none is mentioned on the bottle either, but I found a link, its the second one on the page.

http://www.aquaremedies.com/freshwatermedicartions.html

Any help will be great.

P.S. I am also adding Paracidol to the feeder fish tank to make sure they don't infect my Aro.

0 Not allowed!
    A feeder fish diet alone is likely to lead to vitamin deficiency. If you need a constant anti parasites treatment you got other issues that need resolving.
    The tank is already too small and that will only get worse. I think aeonflame keeps arowana successfully might wanna ask him as well.

0 Not allowed!
    That tank is way, way, way too small for an arowana.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx View Post
    That tank is way, way, way too small for an arowana.
    I have seen 3 feet Arowanas that have been housed in a 6 feet tank, so my 4 Feet tank for a 12 inch fish I don't believe can be called small.
    Maybe tanks are cheap in your part of the world, I saw a post week back where someone got a 8 foot tank for 150$, I got my 4 feet tank for 455 USD and that is the rate in India.

Keep to the topic please, there is no such thing as a large tank, unless and until you have money to buy a small lake.

0 Not allowed!
    I believe the best thing you can do food wise for your fish would be to raise your own feeders (not goldfish though). I was just at a local club presentation with Mike Hellweg, known for the best feeding fish practices, and he said anything from locally caught crayfish, some fruits, raw meat all would be a good diet.

It does seem bad that you have to treat often with anti parasite meds... if you must continue feeding the feeder fish all the time (they should really just be a treat) I would make it a once a week / once a month type thing.

I also agree that maybe right now the tank is barely larger enough to hold it, and that soon that fish will either end up with issues or will need a bigger tank. Have you looked into a plywood tank? They seem to be the best option for larger sized tanks - I have seen a 500 gallon built for $500-$600
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    pellets are good, but he will eventually get too large to be filled up with them. raw seafood is your best best (shrimp, silversides, mussles, etc). also live insects if you can get them there. you're pretty much at the limit tank-size wise, so an upgrade would be best asap.

if the arowana is healthy, then no need to be adding anything to the water. 20-30% water change per week should be fine.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe tanks are cheap in your part of the world, I saw a post week back where someone got a 8 foot tank for 150$, I got my 4 feet tank for 455 USD and that is the rate in India.
    I didn't mean to start an argument. And no, tanks are not cheap in my part of the world. I just paid $820 NZD for a 5-foot tank secondhand and I paid around $450 for my 4ft 65g tank secondhand. Fishkeeping is insanely expensive in New Zealand. I was looking at $800+ for a new Fluval FX5 canister.

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is fine for your arowana now, but have you thought about the future when he gets bigger(and bigger and bigger)? I understand that tanks are expensive in your region, but there is nothing forcing you to keep a fish that will eventually require a tank several times the size. Rehousing to someone else's larger tank is an option(at least where I live there are plenty of "second hand" sites, not sure about yours) and future stock should be limited to what fits in a 63 gallon tank. Or else you could just continue with the cycle of buying young fish and rehoming them when they get big, but there is no guarantee that you will always be a blue to rehome it when bigger.
    Last edited by madagascariensis; 03-21-2013 at 12:41 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    The others are correct about tank size. You knew this would be an issue before you chose to get the fish. Arowana grow fast so you should start working on that new tank.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Your tank is fine for your arowana now, but have you thought about the future when he gets bigger(and bigger and bigger)? I understand that tanks are expensive in your region, but there is nothing forcing you to keep a fish that will eventually require a tank several times the size.
    Ultimately I will have to sell him off, as there is no other option, I live on the 5th floor and there is no way one can fit a 8 foot or larger tank into an elevator.