· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default whats in the sump?

0 Not allowed!
    good day,

im building a 25 gallon cube reef tank with a sump- my first sump. my end goal is to have a perfect reef 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate(most important) but still want to keep "slightly dirty" water

what do you all suggest in putting in the sump

miracle mud?
    4-7" DSB
    4" dsb with 20 lbs of live rock
    Bare bottom with macro
    bare bottom with just live rock
    carbon in the filter sock,
    gfo in the sock

what do you suggest?

i plan on keeping mainly LPS with some SPS
    10G Algae tank-The Nano was moved to the 55G
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

0 Not allowed!
    I would skip the deep sand bed and go bare bottom with live rock and macro algae. You can always add some GFO, Chemi-pure or carbon in media bags inside your filter sock if you need them. This approach when combined with as much rock as practical & possible can give you the results you are looking for, as well as requiring the least amount of on-going maintenance. This approach has been maintaining my 120 gallon with nitrates that seldom hit 1 ppm and phosphates that remain undetectable by my Salifert test kit.

You also have to keep in mind, proper stocking and feeding also will play a role in all of this
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with barebottom with macro (I've had great results with chaeto). Carbon may not be a good idea in a reef except for maybe 24 hour treatments (such as to clear the tank). A GFO reactor would be simple to add in if your phosphates are still high. You may also want to look into the "Hanna Checker Phosphorous Ultra Low Range". Before this newer, ultra-low range checker came out, I had purchased the normal low-range checker and I've been pretty satisfied with it.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so in theory if i placed 15lbs of pours live rubble rock that would be better that placing 1 15 lbs rock in the sump- when i mean better i mean that it would be better for anaerobic bacteria to grow due to lack of flow inside the rock pile and more nitrogen?
    10G Algae tank-The Nano was moved to the 55G
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

0 Not allowed!
    you would still need pretty good flow in your sump. I have a powerhead in the live rock/macro algae compartments of both my sumps
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I concur macro algae only with small amount of live rock and sand for extra surface area and a place for copepods to live. I woud not put that much live rock into sump, because it would be a detritus trap. Also the room not being taken up by the LR will allow extra water volume and room for the macro algae to grow into.

Add GFO/carbon down the road if you find your tank needs it once it ages a little bit.
    Stock the tank you have, not the tank you plan to have. Always have and use patience.
    - 29g FW - Community
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts
    For those of you who want a SW tank and never have had one before or just starting out, read this blog entry from my blog on AC, it will give you a place to start.